Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Request]17" LCD <16ms monitor for gaming

• 12-04-2004 12:34am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭

My Sony 19" CRT is on the way out.
    For a while now the gamma has been up and down for up to 30 minutes after power on, but now it's making a strange noise, so I doubt it has long left to live.

I've decided that LCD is the way to. However, as they are expensive, I need some help on the best (read cheapest) place to buy a (good spec.) model.
    One of my suppliers in work sells LCDs, but the 3 models they have are all 25ms response time models, so no good (but the price is not bad).

So, any help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

I'm thinking of upgrading too Samson, but dont understand the old tft a little. so a tft moitors fastest responce time is about 16ms; what exactly is that? is that like adding +16 to my ping? what is a crt monitors responce time? zero miliseconds :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

From what I understand, response times aren't the be-all and end-all, manufacturers seem to have a tendency to try and make their products stand out, so a 16ms response monitor isn't necessarily better than a 20ms response time. There's a good TFT rundown here, good reviews and lots of pictures. Overclockers.co.uk have a decent range, although shipping is a killer (£20 PLUS VAT to Ireland). Amazon are surpisingly cheap, if you're thinking about the LG or ViewSonic (I'm expecting delivery of a ViewSonic VP171S this week, from Overclockers, worked out at about £379 incl VAT). Just read lots of reviews, Toms hardware guide has some good ones, although some are fairly old.

From what I've read, the LG and ViewSonic seem to be the ones to go for, if you can afford it. Which I can't (parents actually think I'm going to pay them back after using their credit card :rolleyes: ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

Checkout Jaguar in Ballymount, I got a 17" Relisys of them about 6 months ago and it has a 16ms response time... price wasnt bad either about €380 + vat.

Monitor is great - no problems at all, and very little ghosting while gaming, having said that I've used a 19" LCD with 25ms and after 5 mins you forget about the ghosting - so its a matter of choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

25ms is grand for gaming..... i use at 25 and it works grand with anything i throw at it...

its a 19" SyncMaster (193T) LCD from Samsung... got it from komplett.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

On second thoughts, avoid Overclockers.co.uk. They've totally fcuked up my order - they sent me a shipping confirmed email, and now they say it hasnt even left the warehouse yet. Wont answer their phones, wont answer emails, rip-off for postage. If it doesnt come by then end of the week I'm getting onto Visa.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

theres a 17 BenQ monitor, the 3rd one down here which has a 12ms response time, just wondering why no one has reccommended this one? anyone have any more info?

Advertisement