Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best phone for bluetooth

• 12-04-2004 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Ok firstly, I looked back through previous topics and there was an oldish topic kinda about this but wasn't the same plus there has been tonnes of phones out since then.

I was just wondering whats the best phone around at the minute with bluetooth? Preferably nokia because I've always used them. I need a good bluetooth phone for my laptop to send stuff etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

You'll pay a lot of money for a Nokia with bluetooth, except maybe for the 6310i which you'll probably pay around €250-€260 for new, and that phone is getting on now. Why nokia haven't included bluetooth in more phones until very recently is beyond me.:dunno: Other nokia options are the new 6230 and 6600, all of which cost around the €500 mark SIM Free. You might pick up a 3650 second hand for a reasonable price now.

Anyway, if you are willing to part with Nokia's, you should give the Sony Ericsson T610 a look. It has great bluetooth functionality and can be picked up new for sub €300, or you might get a good deal second hand on the FS Mobiles board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

SonyEricsson have the best Bluetooth pedigree of any of the handset vendors, but if you've always been a Nokia user you may find the user interface too much of a change to be comfortable

Nokia basically skipped a generation of their Series 40 handsets last year with Bluetooth capability - possibility due to the less than impressive implementation they provided with their first generation of handsets that implemented Bluetooth - but now they have a few new models coming out (there are some reports outlining interoperability issues on some PDAs (Bluetooth integrated iPAQ 2000 and 1900 series with their current Bluetooth implementations)

their Series 60 handsets have improved since the initial 7650 but being Smartphone devices, depending on your requirements, they may be more than you need?

maybe if you can outline the tasks you want to perform over Bluetooth you can make a more informed decision, bearing in mind the Bluetooth Implementation/Version running in your laptop can play a significant role in how easy it us to achieve your tasks...

BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I'd go for the Siemens S55 personally. I've been a Nokia guy since the 3210 came out, but if i was spending ona new phone now whether for bluetooth or not, it would be the S55. about the same size as an 8310 it has everything you could want, including bluetooth, all for a decent price (admittedly not cheap, but within reason for the spec).

something you'll want to consider for your needs whatever phone you go for (net access etc.) is the bandwidth available for data. as an example the S55 has 4 channels down and 2 up (max 12kbps per channel) which means if you have a strong signal you will get speeds similar to that of a 56k dialup connection. some phone only have 2 down and 1 up which really isn't good enough by todays standards.

my original plan was to get an S55 and a Palm Tungsten T3, but i got given a damaged XDA which I repaired and am now using, whic gives me net and email access via GPRS as well as a phone all in one box, although tbh i wouldn't recommend it if you're paying for it.

if you just want a good phone with great data capabilities I'd go for the S55 anyway, unless nokia pull something special out of their hats in the next month or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

i have t610 and its brilliant apart from
    1) screen hard to read in bright sunlight
    2) texting occasionally a bit laggy on keypresses

t630 is supposedly better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

not sure I'd recommend anyone get an S55 at this stage - it was pretty much a T68i that added Java and Poly Tones... the Sony Ericsson T610 passed it out when it was released... if Siemens was of interest maybe see how long it takes for the S65 to appear....

as for GPRS speed, (generally) both Sony Ericsson and Siemens have mostly Class 8 devices (Slots: 4Rx 1Tx Max5) Nokia produced mostly Class 6 (Slots: 3Rx 2Tx Max4) - pretty sure none of the operators released any handsets with only 2 Slots Rx, although the Moto T260 was used on a trial here the T280 was the released handset which was a Class 8 device

BrianG

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

My 3650 has never given me a problem with bluetooth. Sends/Recieves everything no probs!

[Edit]
    I just thought i'd mention this cos i only discovered it a while ago and still think its cool. I can use my PC's internet connection to surf the web (With opera mobile browser) and use MSN/Yahoo/ICQ (via agile messenger) on my phone. Granted, it only works within the 10m bluetooth range, but i think its cool.

[/EDIT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

i agree, the 3650 tops my bluetooth list

Advertisement