Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

connection closed by foreign host

• 12-04-2004 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

I use a fully patched XP Pro (SP1) to check two separate POP servers but get "connection closed by foreign host (0)."

I don't use secure sockets when receiving. My network open timeout is 300 seconds. My network timeout setting is 300 seconds. I am not caching network info. I am not unloading Winsock DLL during the mail session.

I get the problems using with Eudora 6.1 and Outlook Express 6.

I normally run both Norton AVTK and TrendMicro scanners but they're not set up to check outbound mail. I have shut both down while trying to retrieve mail and the same error message occurs.

Ideas appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭oneweb

Any info on what mail server you're connecting to might help, as well the ISP you're using and when exactly the problem occurs (first connect/retrieving/sending/all of the above?)

It might be that you're trying to connect to a mail server without being connected via their ISP (some providers only allow mail access when the user is connected via their network.)

HTH

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

can you telnet to the pop server?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭topgold

I can Telnet to the servers mail.well.com and gpo.iol.ie plus I normally dial a server on IOL bandwidth prior to POPping the mail server. I also get the problem when connecting through HEANET over a college LAN.

I get the problem when sending, sending/receiving or receiving mail.

I first encountered the problem after patching XP Pro with SP1.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭topgold

Update:

I manually deleted Norton Anti-Virus 2004 from my XP Pro installation and everything works better. Although I cannot get rid of all NAV components, I have neutered the mail scanning (Norton Post Office) functions and with that done, I enjoy POP and SMTP services with both Eudora and Outlook Express.

Lesson learned:

Norton Anti-Virus 2004 is unsuitable for use with Windows XP Pro at this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Maryj50

Re Connection closed by foreign host:

I worked on that one for hours. Had the problems with both Eudora and Mail Washer.

Here's a clue. Shut down your firewall (Zone Alarm or Windows or whichever one you are using, just for a quick second or two. Now try to access your email. If you can do that, the problem is with your firewall.

For your quick reprotection, reactivate your firewall again as soon as you try it.

If you are using Zone Alarm click on the Main Menu and if your Trusted Internet Zone Security is set to high, set it to medium. That should solve all of your problems.

I don't use secure sockets when receiving. My network open timeout is 300 seconds. My network timeout setting is 300 seconds. I am not caching network info. I am not unloading Winsock DLL during the mail session.

I get the problems using with Eudora 6.1 and Outlook Express 6.

I normally run both Norton AVTK and TrendMicro scanners but they're not set up to check outbound mail. I have shut both down while trying to retrieve mail and the same error message occurs.

Ideas appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Hi welcome to boards Maryj50

hope you don't mind me closing thread cos the original problem was 3 years ago and XP SP1 isn't supported anymore. Its best not to turn off the firewall even to test as Windows versions prior to XP SP2 can get taken over in seconds

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement