Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael poster campaign

Options
  • 12-04-2004 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

Has anyone any thoughts(good, bad or indifferent) on the current FG postering campaign(Enda Kenny in an office with logos like Truth in politics for a change etc). Just to declare in advance I am a member of FG.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Haven't seen them. Linkies?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

It tends to give me the same sensation I get when I see Bertie declare "A lot done, a lot more to do".
    Or the one I get when Adams declares that he wasn't on the IRA Army Council, or when McDowell says he's not an authoritarian, or the sensation I get from just looking at Jackie Healy-Rae.

In short, you're trying to sell a bad product. Personally, I'd be focussing on trying to improve the product instead.

And for the love of god, get someone to stitch Gay Mitchell's mouth closed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭eoin@host.ie

Originally posted by Victor
    Haven't seen them. Linkies?

They're using the billboards at Dart stations and road sides for the campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

As I've said here only last night, I'll take almost any opportunity to support a worthy opposition to the current shower of gansters, liars and misleaders by omission (thank you Bertie) and incompetents we have at the moment.

Here's the problem though: FG aren't worthy of my support at the moment. And the way they're going I'm reasonably sure they won't be worthy of my support at any time in the future. Not that I was planning on joining them (or anyone else) mind you but they're not even worthy of a few kindly words the way they're going about things. Kenny ran around the country trying to figure out what his party should stand for when it's traditional for a party leader to know that before he becomes party leader.

The current "campaigns" (and I use the word pretty generously) seem to be targetted at mopping up a few small votes from a few people who don't have a notion of how things work or should work (which admittedly is probably about 80% of the country but they're not targetting very well) while all the time Kenny doesn't appear to have much of a notion of what should be done about the Very Big Things™ that make or break a party at an election.

FG have one of the best politician economists in the country (Richard Bruton) and have Dukes sitting on the (admittedly, out-)side as well (another chap who knows just a bit about finance and economics) and aren't using them to any great degree at all, even in the case of Dukes to formulate economic policy. Unfortunately Yates has gone and that's a pity but FG can't lose points for that. The trouble FG have can be summed up as a complete lack of direction and a complete lack of presentation. Part of the first problem is Kenny - he honestly comes across as a caretaker leader who's prepared to lose the next election years before it happens. On the second problem the FG front benchers are pretty much anonymous. I know where the FG PR people are going with this - they're emphasising the difference between the FF leadership and the FG leadership, in this case concentrating on the idea that Bertie is a lying scumbag and that Enda isn't. No-one cares as long as Kenny comes across as a weak ineffectual leader with no ideas of his own. it's sad really but there are thousands of idiots around the country who reckon that a little corruption is to be expected and as long as the train keeps on the rails and they're a little richer than they were then why change horses half way through a sluggish race. And the worst thing is that none of the competents are going to unhorse Kenny because they reckon it'd be bad for the party and they'd probably lose the next election anyway.

So my thoughts? People will reckon they can get honesty in politics from most of the opposition parties. If that's what they want. FG are singularly failing to differentiate themselves from anyone on any particular issue because they're afraid of losing votes. They're losing even more votes by not doing this. Why would anyone start pushing a directionless boat? And FG will get crucified if they don't find a direction as FF will run with the realism that they'll be the only chance of a stable (and by "stable" I mean "government not made up of four parties and a few one-issue TDs with nothing in common") government in the next general election. Stop wasting money on raising the profile of the leadership and get the leadership to raise its own profile by getting Kenny out there with something worthwhile to say. Preferably something he thinks up himself - and something that we all know he thinks up himself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by Sparks
    It tends to give me the same...sensation I get from just looking at Jackie Healy-Rae.

:D They are bad with a captial B, cos they are selling, as sparks says, a poor quality product. Its like the trailer you sit through for 5 mins and you can see the movie will be cack but the booming voiceover will try to fool you anyway.

Kenny just looks so lame anyway. Actually what I'd love to see is Kenny with a shotgun photographed from a low angle against the sky with a slogan like

"He's Gunning For the Government!" Well it would make a change...

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by mike65
    :D They are bad with a captial B, cos they are selling, as sparks says, a poor quality product. Its like the trailer you sit through for 5 mins and you can see the movie will be cack but the booming voiceover will try to fool you anyway.
    <Don LaFontaine>
    In a corrupt world, one man stands up for what he believes to be right....(cue explosions and a man emerging from a burning building with the bloody corpse of Cathleen NiHoulihan held tightly to his chest)...
    </Don LaFontaine>

I'd like to see you in my office on Monday with a script Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Enda_Kenny.jpg

:ninja:

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭dglancy

What to FG do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭dglancy

BTW, I'm thinking of voting FG in the next elections, just to get the current shower out of office - time for a change, and all that.

"I've no idea what the hell FG do, stand for, suggest, promise, etc ... That will do nicely. #1"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭eoin@host.ie

Kenny just looks so lame anyway. Actually what I'd love to see is Kenny with a shotgun photographed from a low angle against the sky with a slogan like

"He's Gunning For the Government!" Well it would make a change...

Mike.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Enda_Kenny.jpg

Mike, speaking as the offical PR officer for the National Target Shooting Association, that's something that'd scare the living daylights out of me if I saw it in real life.

And I missed the smiley the first time I saw it.

So I'm billing you for the cost of cleaning tea off of my monitor. You sod.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭gom

Originally posted by dglancy
    BTW, I'm thinking of voting FG in the next elections, just to get the current shower out of office - time for a change, and all that.

"I've no idea what the hell FG do, stand for, suggest, promise, etc ... That will do nicely. #1"

If thats teh case the vote for Labour

They have a real Leader who can shoot with his mouth and Mind alone

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

I have to agree that poster campaigns on their own are meaniingless without something tangible to advertise; 'a lot done more to do' was a classic example of a hollow campaign if ever there was one. Trouble for Fine Gael and what everyone posting above seems to be saying is that they don't stand for anything and are almost completely ineffectual. You could say the poster campaign is building up to the FG conference in two weeks, we might find out then if there is something more to Fine Gael or if this is just another in a long list of wishful false dawns for the party...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

Fine Gael are a bunch of retards.

I went for a job interview with them - I've never met a more close minded bunch of people. And the arrogance of them!

They lost my vote there anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Johnny Versace
    Fine Gael are a bunch of retards.

I went for a job interview with them

I see.

Did you come to to this opinion before or after they didn't give you a job?

jc

Before.

Why is everyone so cynical today?

It was for their youth development officer (something I have experience in.)

The interview was horrific - they were the most conservative bunch of people ever.

Example, they asked my opinion on world politics. I explained how I am very interested in the whole Israel issue, and how it affects the palestinians. They were shocked how anyone could have any sympathy for the palestinians.

One of the interviewers, (sorry can't remember his name, but he is the general secretary of FG) jaw dropped and all he could say was "THE BOMBS".

The rest of the interview he had a look of disgust on his face.

There was many many more things like this...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Johnny Versace
    Before.

Why is everyone so cynical today?

I'm not being cynical.

I'm just trying to determine if it was a case that you decided that you'd work for a shower of - as you put it - retards, or if you decided that they were such after they refused to give you a job you wanted.

In the latter case, your judgement would be naturally suspect.

As for the former case...well...I know I wouldn't apply to any company/organisation I had such a low opinion of, but didn't want to assume you did the same.

Funny how trying to be open-minded leads to accusations of cynicism ;)

There was many many more things like this...

Yes, but now all you're doing is giving examples of how an interview went wrong, and how the interviewers were crap, and how they subsequently didn't give you a job.

If anything, you're suggesting that it was the interview that turned you off FG, where above you've just clarified you thought they were a bunch of whatevers before they refused you.

Originally posted by bonkey

If anything, you're suggesting that it was the interview that turned you off FG, where above you've just clarified you thought they were a bunch of whatevers before they refused you.

It was the interview which turned me off them - I had a *reasonable* opinion of them before the interview...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Ajnag

What the hell is it politcs and p.r in this country??!!??.

FFs, the political partys in this country couldnt sell water to a drought stricken country.FF are the only ones with any decent p.r budget, and they still do a poor job.No doubt more to do :rolleyes:

Remember the p.ds campaign in the last election to get young v0ters? well if ya dont it was a cartoon where mary harney and co magicly appeared in construted social situations to patronisingly say why the p.ds were so good.

and as for this f.g campaign, you sure that ad wasnt meant for daniel o donnel?, Like whats that thing with endas autograph, are you selling a serious politian or the next feccken eurostar?

People are far more savvy then these campaigns regignise, and not only that but it has to be questioned how effective these campaigns are, when sinn fein are gathering support, not with large ad campaigns, but by recignising local issues that are important to people and hopping on the bandwagon.

partys dont seem to recognise the voters that they arnt getting.Take Labour for instance, they probably get the least votes from farmers, yet do they go and set up a stall at the ploughing championships to interact with the vote that they could be getting?
    do they hell.

anyway, put it this way, I need a job, and if ya feel like pissing yer party funds on the wall, well, I bet Ill do a better job of it. ;)
    Failing that you could hire mike.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

I seen one in Galway yesterday. As posters go I though it was very good. I think it says:

"FG for truth, Time for change" . IMO the shoud of just stuck with one snappy sentance. In someways the "time for change" bit dilutes the real massage that FG wanna give out "Time for Truth".

Peopl have about a second time span to look at these things and the Truth bit is what you want them to see .

If FG cant become contenders in this election they can forget about it. How vunerable is the governement to effective PR at the moment.

Advertisement