Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Update downloading the same fixes repeatedly

Options
  • 12-04-2004 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

Windows update downloads and the following update and pops up a message asking for permission to install it.
    Security Update for Microsoft Windows (819696)
    An identified security issue in Microsoft DirectX could alloiw an attacker to run programs on a computer running Microsoft Windows. The attacker would first have to send you an e-mail message or entice you into visiting a malicious Web site. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. Once you install this item it cannot be removed.

I install it.

It downloads it again.

I install it.

and so on...

Why would Windows Update be popping up with the same update over and over?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

because its crap.

get a hold of this. www.autopatcher.com

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

A >200Mb download of a 3rd party application? Surely that's not the only solution...

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

ya the initial download is scary but after that all you need to do is download small monthly updates.
    use the File Exchange Forum and ask someone to burn it onto cd for you.

but anyways done some googling and on expert-exchange that installing Direct X 9.0b seems to fix the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

is it a legit xp?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by bazH
    is it a legit xp?

Yes, of course it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

What happens if you download it directly and install it manually?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Bard, does the patch install correctly when you download it - you see the green check mark if it's successful, or a red 'X' if it fails to install.

If you want to check the registry, can you let me know of the following key exists:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Hotfix\KB819696 Installed = 1

?

This should let Windows Update know that it's already installed.

Also, what OS are you using? On both my Windows XP & Server 2003 machines, I'm not getting reoffered it after it's installed.

Cheers,

Colm.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

have a look at this site that links to M$

jabberwock

Advertisement