Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last night. Sunday 11th

Options
  • 12-04-2004 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

What an annoying night to begin with. Went in at 6.30 for the WSOP qualifier. Was playing very well all night took a good few small pots to build up the stack and was sitting good going into freeze out. Cards came and went and all of a suddne we were at the final table. Dave from the fitz was a monster chip leader. A few got knocked out including me knocking out one of the fitz dealers with pocket A's. Davey Devil was too at the final table and looked to be struggling but nobody called his all in's and was robbing a few nice pots. We are now down to the final 4 Dave from the fitz has had his stack demolished by a guy to my left. Dave went all in with pocket J's and was out drawn.

So with Dave Devil's stack getting slowly bigger. This leaves me short stack with 8 - 10k in chips. And get dealt the BULLETS. Think for 1.5-2 seconds about what to do and then start badly trash talking the table. That it'll only cost them 8k to get their tickets, 3 tickets on offer + €80 credits for 4th, Chip leader is in a position that 8k isn't going to make much of a dent into his stack so he calls. Im quietly confident. Play gets to Davey Devil and he correctly points out to the leader that he is miles behind and folds. Just leaves the turn of the cards. Show the A's nobody at the table is surprised. He turns over J,Q Heart and of course out draws me to hit a straight on the river. Now that was annoying.

So head over to Luke to see what the story was with the credits. Briefly explaining that I wouldn't be using them for the WSOP event as I wouldn't pay 180 extra for it and convince him to let me use them for the €20 buyin on the night. So get my 1k in chips and join at level 3 with only about 15 hands before the break. People rebuying were getting 2.5 times more chips than I had. So I sat tight guarding my chips. 5 hands pass and I get AK suited. Call the blind. Flop shows 2, 7, Jo so I say to hell with this and push 900 into the centre. With that flop I got 2 callers. 4th Street showed the A. And the river had K for a nice triple through.

Next hand get AA. Pre flop go all in. Get one caller who has less chips than me. Win that hand easy. Next hand get KK. Put in a decent raise but now the table are scared when Im playing so only get one caller. He had pocket 5's. Board helps no-one so now Im sitting well. Last hand before the break get A 10. Flop shows a 10. Put in small bet, only one player with me. We both check 4th street. K comes on river, I check he bets 2k I dont believe him call him. He has 10 5. So a nice pot to get to the break. Top up as its free money. Sit tight apart from my pocket Q's which I folded. Get to final table. Play is quick. And end up coming 3rd.

So as annoying as the night was. 2 tournaments, a 4th and a 3rd. Still have credit in the fitz plus the winnings from the tournament made for a confidence building night.

Well done Davey on the ticket

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Evil Genius

First time poster, long time lurker.

Third time in the Fitz. First time on the final. I was low on chips entering the final table, but then again we all were compared to chip leader. Main object was getting in the money, so played very patiently. So finally after putting down moderate hands(which would have won alot of pots) we finally got down to 6. had about 10k at that stage which was low still, and i start to catch big hands with the 6 of us. Had my stack up to about 30k when for me the clincher came down. With 4 of us left, i was on the big blind, 2 calls and i look down to see J,Q of clubs, so i check the option.

Flop was blank,10,blank and its checked around, turn is a K so i have an open ended straight draw. Its checked again, and river drops an Ace, big raise from chip leader, so i go all in, he calls and turns A,K. Killed his stack and have a comfortable lead.

Still for of us, again on the big blind, i catch As,J. Person calls the big blind all in, fold and a call. I check my option again. Flop comes down Js,10s,junk, checked around, and it turn is another spade. So i have top pair with ace kicker, and nut flush draw, look to my right(think it was Gerire) and put him all in. He calls and turns J,7. River hits my spade, but was leading before that. So down to final 2, was huge leader,and was calling blind. Doubled other person a few times, up to about 25k, and thought i had made a balls of it, but finally won it, and walked out with a big smile.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I had a great night right up until I trapped Davey Devil (I think, it was you wasnt it Davey?)

Played A2 (which is unusual for me but I was getting a bit desperate) and the poker gods smiled and brought me an ace and a 2 on the flop... I play it all cool and check to see if I can get a raise. Sure enough Davey raises me 1000 with A,Q and I reraise for another 1000. Not to be bullied Davey goes all-in and I think I actually got my chips in the pot before he did I was so happy to hear that.

Q on the river gutted me like a fish and I couldnt even leave the table I was that shocked. I just had to tell myself that I'd played it well and gotten beaten as can happen in Poker. Cold comfort though when you turn from predator to unlucky prey.

*shakes fist at Davey!*

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Yeah sorry about that but as you say that's poker. The game gives you a kick in the balls when you least expect it. I got crippled on the final table - called an all-in with JJ against 10's. He hits a set then i get the flush but unfortunately it brought the full house for him. Luckily I more than covered him. That crap happens all the time suppose it wouldn't be as much fun if the best hand pre-flop held up all the time.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Aye, it wouldnt be quite as much of a rush alright! I was just gutted last night. I was happy with my play, didnt really put a foot wrong after the freeze out (before the freezeout is just nuts, its silly). I'm definitely moving up to the 20 in as I only really enjoyed last night when the lunacy ended...
    I really thought I'd got you and was going to double through off you!! I was just chuffed with myself for getting you to go all in and then *that* happened. I dunno whether I love or hate this game hahahah

Another time highlander!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I was the guy with the wrist support. Went all in for 1900, bb 1500, sb folds, bb calls another 400 (right thing to do) and I flip AJ and he with 47o, I hit the J but it soon turns out to be my killer as he got a straight to it.

I was pleased with coming 7th though. 1st proper tourny I was in and I didn't rebuy once. I much prefer freeze-out, if there were no rebuys, I'd say I would have done much better. I was mass chip leader and suddenly people start rebuying more than my stack.

If anyone remembers me, describe who you were because I don't know what any of you look like.

I think the €100 monday night fo is more my style. Anyone play?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Originally posted by cormie
    I think the €100 monday night fo is more my style. Anyone play?
    I've played the monday night game twice now, finished 3rd and 5th (see my other sob story post)
    It costs 110euro, a tenner for registration, the poker is of a really good standard, but if you hate the rebuy nonsense as much as I do its might be worth the cash. From playing plenty of boards people I'd say our games would suit the freezeout style well.
    There's usually about 3 full tables to start with, top prize is about 1500-1800, and it pays down to 5th.
    Highly recommended

I've missed my chance now for a good while. I've had the week off work and wont have a tuesday off for a long time. What time do they usually finish at? It sounds like my style too. No Limit, no re-buy. Pitty about the night. Did you see me on Sunday? Who were you? Were you at the poker.ie tournament?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

Hey Cormie how are you. Some good clawing on on Sunday from you. I was at your table when there was 2 tables and then down the end from you at the final table. Was impressed with your play. Some bigger stacks fell before you left the game.

Lafortezza Yes a lot of us are more suited to freeze outs, but also most of the cash tournaments are played to a similar high standard even if it is a 20 rebuy game the standard is usually up there.

Do you have blade 1/2, slight stubble and you were sitting across from me on final table and we both had the smallest stacks on the table? Who is the guy who beat me with 47o? Yeah, I didn't fancy buying in at all. It's a pitty about the bad beat on the final table, would have liked to have seen how far I could have got winning that hand.

Advertisement