Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clicksilver in Dublin?

• 12-04-2004 8:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭

Moving to Dublin in the near future (city centre) - any one with Clicksilver there? How do you rate them so far? I am currently in Galway with IOLBB and apart from occasional problems they are just fine - lived in Silicon Valley in the states for quite a while and all broadband providers will have occasional problems :) But Clicksilver is so much cheaper that if their service is ok I would go for them over IOLBB.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

i have clicksilver and i could'nt advise anyone to get it. speeds and pings are bad too often. if i had a choice now i would pay the extra money and go with eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

If you're gonna use it just for the 24/7 connection, checking mails, a bit of surfing... then yea its probably worth it at €30 per month.

If you need a reliable connection for downloads and/or gaming, steer as far away from UTV as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Yeah, was going to use it for both downloads and particularly gaming - will stick with Eircom or IOLBB then...hope that Eircom still has that offer of free connection (don't want to shell out 99 euro again) through the 3G stores...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I'm back to my normal fast happy day speeds. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Subc

U call 55kb/s max, fast?
    Man u should see all the other connections out there that are 10x better and are cheaper too
    Not also is it 55kb/s max but it never works (well im wit UTV)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Originally posted by Subc
    U call 55kb/s max, fast?
    Man u should see all the other connections out there that are 10x better and are cheaper too
    Not also is it 55kb/s max but it never works (well im wit UTV)

i believe that 55kb/s is quite fast indeed for a 512k link

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Originally posted by NeoSlicerZ
    i believe that 55kb/s is quite fast indeed for a 512k link

I am sure some of the teccie guys on here would explain the thing fully but Should that not be 55KB if it is to be acceptable as broadband - dont you multiply the 55 by 8 to bring it to 440 as giganews might express it? Anyways I think you guys are not talking about the same thing:)

i used to have 512k in the USA and downloaded at 90kb/sec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

No, you probably had a shared cable connection which said 512k, but could go faster depending on how many people were using it at the time.

It certainly wasn't 512k DSL anyway, unless the ISP f*cked up and gave you a faster connection by mistake.

lol trust me man its DSL 512k
    My friend has the same thing but hes with verizon and dloads at 90kb/sec, on the other hand my other friend has cable with optimum and downloads at 150kb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I don't think it's technically possible to download at more than 60 or 70kbps on 512k adsl, you must have your wires crossed about what sort of service it was...

Advertisement