Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dune Frank mind not brian and kevin j anderson

Options
  • 12-04-2004 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Just couldn't help noticing no one has posted anything on Dune in my mind a brillant peice of space opera. I mean it has classic line's like "power attracts the corruptible" which makes more sense than power corrupts. Have to say the last two books hereitics of dune and chapterhouse dune are a bit weak in my view and the newer novels by brian herbert and kevin j anderson actually contridict some stuff in the classic series. Just got the original film on dvd my advice dont it is confusing incorrect and makes no sense ahh well maybe someone will do a good screenplay eventually.
    '

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

<rant> Must.... resist.... urge.... to.... correct.... grammar.... </rant> :rolleyes:

I loved the original Dune book, but hated the followup so kinda just gave up on them. I heard the later stuff done by Brian Herbert were utter rubbish as well, so you're probably right ;)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I greatly enjoyed the original series. My posting nick is derived from it. It's a pity Frank died before completing the final, seventh book. However, the new series are pretty awful. Kevin J. Anderson has yet to write a novel that I don't want to immolate and Brian Herbert appears to be taking the "rape Daddy's work" guide to writing, as pioneered by Christopher Tolkien.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Micro1

I loved the first three books, they were the books that got me into reading. I cant rate them highly enough. The next two were alright, bit of a disapoinmtent but passable. but when i finished the last book 'chapter house Dune' I was just left scratching my head. To be honest id need to reread them to figuire out what actually happens, but i couldnt be arsed. So my advise, read the first three. They were written about 30 years before the second three, and as a stand alone triology they are fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Just couldn't help noticing no one has posted anything on Dune

/me searches for "dune" in Sci-fi forum and comes back with lots of threads.

I saw the movie in the late eighties (which i loved) and read the first book a few years later. Then a few years ago I read the whole lot back to back. The first "trilogy" is superior to the rest imo.

davej

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Obscure

Massive Dune fan, read them around 7 years ago and re-reading them now. Just read "God Emperor of Dune" though and its disappointing.... need a break after it before starting 5th book.

Dune Messiah is brilliant, the first time i read it, didnt really know what Paul was talking about. But when you read it again you really see that he's afraid of the Golden path and is desperate to kill his own religion... classic stuff.

Recommend the Sci-fi mini series that were done on Dune. Very good. There are 2 series. The first one is based on first book and 2nd based on Messiah and Children of Dune. Of course they can't get all the detail in there, but they do very good interpretations. Each is 6hrs long so they can take their time, Something that Lynch wasnt allowed do with his film.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005QG3Z/qid=1081864965/sr=2-3/ref=sr_2_11_3/026-0721217-4426017
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000C24DM/qid=1081864965/sr=2-2/ref=sr_2_11_2/026-0721217-4426017

"we pay for the crimes of our ancestors"
    Ob

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Saw the first part of the Dune series the other day. The production values are spectacular for a tv series (despite what people seem to say) and it does take its time with detail too.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭gaelic cowboy

Apparently brian and kevin j are to collaborate on dune seven this will be after the release of the battle of corrin which deals with the butlerian jihad. It is supposed to be based on notes and conversations Frank and brian had and some supposed notes found after Frank's death. It will actually be 2 novels called at the moment hunters of dune and sandworms of dune apparently we will find out what heretics and chapter house were all about and who the honoured matres were running from. My guess is the newer Face dancers from the last novel are the enemy they probally have evolved to a higher level threatening humans or it could be a remant of the machine intelligence. Having said that it will as usual be contridicting loads of events from Frank's book's and be crap. Damm I know I will have to buy it just to find out what it was all about:(

Originally posted by davej
    /me searches for "dune" in Sci-fi forum and comes back with lots of threads.

:D Ha ha ha ha I didnt realise you could search for old threads am only a newbie on this forum. When i didnt see any numbered pages at the bottom i just assumed the sci/ fi board wasn't up very long. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Originally posted by gaelic cowboy
    Just got the original film on dvd my advice dont it is confusing incorrect and makes no sense ahh well maybe someone will do a good screenplay eventually.
    '

There was a new series released on Dvd there a few years ago, I think 2002-2003.

Really good, in my opinion.

Obviously the special Fx were far superior but alot of the dialog is vastly better than the original film.

That said, I loved the original film and why in alot of places it was rather confusing, remember its alot easier to do those types of scenes in a book than a film. And the only fault with the original film is that they tried too hard to stay true to the book, a flaw many films would be much better off with these days.

Have a look out for the mini-series, its 3 episodes, each about 2 hours I think.

Favourite quote by Guerny
    Any man who lays a hand on your father, will have it cut off. As a prelude to their death.

Its been a while since I've seen it now, so it may not be 100% accurate, but you get the jist.

Actually, I must rent it again :)

Yeah I rented all 3 from the local video place they were all right much forgivable than Lynch's film my god the rain at the end of the origanal film would kill all the sandworms:mad: . Apparently the budget is a bit bigger this time on the mini series and Susan sarandon is in it as Irulan's sister if i remember correctly. Starts with dune messiah and ends with children of dune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Obscure

I refuse to read any of Brian Herbert's Dune novels. I mean what gives Brian more knowledge and understanding to know what Frank intended with Dune. Until the day that Brian claims to have Franks ancestral memories under his full control (the full control is important you know), I aint gonna touch one of his books!!

As an aside does anyone know if its possible to get cool poster size prints of Dune art. There was a hard-back version of Dune out recently with excellent artwork:

http://www.arrakis.co.uk/illustrated2.html
    found at http://www.arrakis.co.uk/books.html

Advertisement