Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is this legal?

Options
  • 13-04-2004 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 65,377 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

License plate spray that will prevent gatso / speed camera from reading it. Anybody know for sure if this is legal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

maybe legal but afaik it doesn't work - they have fancy image processing techniques (or a copy of photoshop) that lets them read any plate - saw a demo of this once. sounds like snake oil to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I've seen them work.
    It makes the plate highly reflective so that a flash bounces back and over exposes the picture (well the plate part of it).

They were legal in the UK when I saw them, but that was a few months ago...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Originally posted by silverside
    maybe legal but afaik it doesn't work - they have fancy image processing techniques (or a copy of photoshop) that lets them read any plate - saw a demo of this once. sounds like snake oil to me.

Computer enhancement of images is not allowed. It is continuity of evidence that is broken if that is done.

Police should buy better cameras!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

Don't we know where all cameras are anyway?

Gatso van is still going to get you, unless you are on the bike

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,377 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by Gmodified
    Gatso van is still going to get you

No it won't, that's what would make this stuff so interesting :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭pedro ferio-vti

Gatso van is still going to get you, unless you are on the bike

:D

Ha ha, go suzuki bandit GOOO!!! Dobra! I'd be interested in getting 1 of them garage door openers that accidently scramble police radar guns!

Pete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭malico

Not sure about this spray malarky, but a recent bike show had a liscence plate with the same technology. And it works. I have one for my bike. Not for road use of couse, I only use it on the track, where speeding should be kept of course... :)

Description of the product:

Photo radar cameras often utilize a strong flash to photograph the license plate on your car as it speeds by. "PHOTO BLOCKER's" special formula works to reflect the flash back to the camera. Result is an overexposed and unreadable picture, often preventing a costly ticket.

I never seen Gatso van operating after certain hours. Don't mention evening times

which makes this spray bit useless. It will not reflect in normal day light as they will not use flash

Ha ha, go suzuki bandit GOOO!!!
    There is only one reg on the bike and is on the back:D

I can do wheelies when passing gatso van:D

There is only one reg on the bike and is on the back
    I can do wheelies when passing gatso van

Some of them have a camera in the front for those eventualities:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Originally posted by Bond-James Bond
    Some of them have a camera in the front for those eventualities:)

This is news... do go on...

• Advertisement

Some of them have a camera in the front for those eventualities

:confused:

I never seen gatso van with two cameras ==>one on the front one on the back

:confused:

I never seen gatso van with two cameras ==>one on the front one on the back

The front one is not the same camera as the back one. It is not on normally. The boys in the back flick it on if a car with no front plate passes it and then get the rear plate. They also use it against motorcyclists too.

Otherwise you would have car drivers claiming discrimation.

I can't see this working at all. What if you slow down while passing the van?doesn't make sense.
    Picture has to show clearly full registration plate and actual speed of the vehicle otherwise would not be considered as evidence.

none of the people i know didn't receive any tickets or penalty points while driving by gatso vans on motorcycles and they were over the limit.

I am not encouraging people to do it but this is my experience of Irish gatso vans

Ok, most of the UK vans have camera which could be shooting in one direction at any given time rear/side/front . Don't mention portable devices which could be anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Had a funny incident on Monday riding my bike through Stepaside..
    Was doing about 35mph in a 30-zone, and a guard had a speed-camera pointed at me..

After 'scanning' me (measuring my speed), he nodded at me and pretended to write something in his notepad.. Of course he never looked at the rear of the bike, which houses the only number-plate..

So much for deterrence..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

afaik the gatso van uses infrared so therefore no flash

Advertisement