Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Q321856

Options
  • 13-04-2004 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

some of our new servers are missing a hotfix thats installed on other servers ,

it is Q 321856 , but when I google this I only get a few answers all in foreign languages,

Can anyone tell me what this hotfix is for and perhaps a possible link to the rollup package it's now part of ?

cheers

Fionn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 DannyMac

Are you sure you have the Q number correct?...I've searched Microsoft Technet for this Q number and it can't even find it..

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/current.aspx

The above link is where all the past hotfixes have been gathered together for ease of downloading.

Can you run HFNETCHK on the server and see if it has a corresponding MS number...eg MS03 - 004 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

Dannymac, cheers for the reply , aprreciated

it definatley is q321856 (nt 4 hotfix) and it was because of my failed google that lead me to posting this question

this is a strange one , are there instances of microsoft removing hotfixes entirely ??

would they now be part of a greater rollup package ??

any ideas ? anyone ??

bueller ....bueller ................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Bizarre

What service pack is installed in the servers?

This hotfix should be included in Win NT SP7, so the message should disappear if you install this service pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

AFAIK they never officially released SP7, though it did have a beta run. There are a few SP7s around on the Net but I don't know if they're a final version or not.

Looking through a google for the number (which as Fionn said is pretty much a failure) this bug (whatever it is) appears to have been fixed on win2k in SP4. Given that SP4 for win2k was out about a year or two after SP6a for NT4, it's unlikely that it was fixed in SP6a for NT4.

Which unfortunately may put you back to square one...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

MS have not been using "Q" for a while now.

I take it you have gone to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and tried there.
    IE6 might be needed.

There was an SRP after SP6a (yes SP6 without the "a" was a turkey) and the servers here have about 25 hotfixes since (excluding hotfixes for apps) and I don't see it on the list.

Since you would have had to download the hotfix - search for .exe files with numbers in their names on the patched servers ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

There is a Windows NT version of this fix, but it's only available from PSS AFAIK.

snip
    MORE INFORMATION
    A supported fix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to correct the problem that is described in this article. Apply it only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem.

To resolve this problem, contact Microsoft Product Support Services to obtain the fix. For a complete list of Microsoft Product Support Services phone numbers and information about support costs, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;CNTACTMS

----

I'm double checking if PSS is the only place to get it. I'll update you when I get an answer.

HTH,

Colm.

On our site we have a test group with 8 servers split into 4 groups of two.

3 of the groups have this q321... hotfix ,but one group (the newest) is missing it and our developers want all four groups to be identical, so I have to find the individual hotfix .

And to answer bizarres question , SP6a high encryption is installed on the servers.

there defo is a q321856 , i just can't find a d/l for it, google gives me a few foreign sites and yahoo almost gets a d/l page .

any further ideas ?

tia

Fionn

Hi Fionn, I can get this patch to you.

What I need are :

Your name
    Your Company name
    Phone number
    email address

Then I can send it out to you.

If you want to send it to me via a private message I'll get the patch out to you ASAP.

Cheers,

Colm.

cheers for the download Colmot ,

Is there ANY documentation to tell me what this hotfix is actually fixing ???

does anyone speak fluent klash-klash and can translate the google answers for q321856 ,

why do i always trip over these longtime lost frickin files ?????

seriously, any info would be great before I go installing , help me colmot-1-kenobi, your our only hope (by hope i mean insider)

cheers

Fionn

Hi Fionn,

here is the spew that I have:

SUMMARY
    =======

This article describes a hotfix that has been created to redistribute the version of the Winhttp.dll component that is included in Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 (SP4).

The repackaged Winttp.dll component updates Winhttp.dll to version 5.1.2600.1039.

MORE INFORMATION
    ================

A supported fix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to correct the problem that is described in this article. Apply it only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem.

To resolve this problem, contact Microsoft Product Support Services to obtain the fix. For a complete list of Microsoft Product Support Services phone numbers and information about support costs, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;CNTACTMS:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;CNTACTMS

Note In special cases, charges that are ordinarily incurred for support calls may be canceled if a Microsoft Support Professional determines that a specific update will resolve your problem. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for the specific update in question.

The English version of this
    fix has the file attributes (or later) that are listed in the following table.
    The dates and times for these files are listed in coordinated universal time
    (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To
    find the difference between UTC and local time, use the "Time
    Zone" tab in the Date and Time tool in Control Panel.

Date Time Version Size File name
    13-May-2002 20:44 5.1.2600.1039 310,272 Winhttp.dll

As far as I can work out, it's only updating this file to a later version.

Colm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

if you have a copy of visual KB it's all docemented there.

including the "spew" colm posted

Lads,

thats nothing short of amazing , nice one again for the help. it is cool to have a forum such as this and definatley I'll be trying to help where I can in future.

Colmot - is there a msXX-XXX number associated with this q321856 ? just so I can file this patch away properly

Emboss - I'll grab a copy of visual VB , see you on the first Friday (hopefully I'll remember this time)

cheers

Fionn

As far as I know it's not a security related release (I could be wrong...) so there won't be a MSXX-XXX article about it on the Security Centre.

There is only a Q article for it.

Advertisement