Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hosting Games on IOL

• 13-04-2004 2:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭

Hey All,

I'm using IOL plus with the ZyXEL Prestige 600 Series.

I am having trouble hosting any sort of games myself.

My friends can't connect to my server for any game. I have tried this with my firewall (kerio) turned on and off and everyother setting inbetween...maybe...probally missing something.

I can play Half-Life/CS on any server with out problems.

Another problem I'm having is that, I can't play Tiberian Sun on at all. I can connect to their chatserver, join the game room etc, but when it is about to start nothing happens and I lose connections to everyone thats in the game.

I can play all these games over a lan with out any problems.

I am presuming its something to do with the modem, maybe NAT? I really don't know much about it. Currently using IOL's default settings.

Could any one tell me what I need to do or point me in the right direction.

If ya think I'd get a better responce in Net/Comms, please move.

Thanks,
    Gid.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Sounds like a problem with NAT. Some games require your real IP to connect to, while some allow NAT.

Check the game FAQ or ask around the games sites.

You may need to have your game PC directly connected to the net rather than using IP behind NAT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

ALL games require your public internet IP address to connect to.

what you need to do is get some info on your DSL modem. then find out what port(s) are being used by whatever game you are hosting. next, you need to tell your modem to forward these ports to the internal IP address of your home PC (for example, 192.168.0.2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭NóMur

If you don't know what ports exactly your game is using you can do the following.

If you are using the ZyXEL 623R-T1 modem/router go to your NAT settings and in line 1 where it says "All ports" enter the IP of your computer on the LAN.

One way to check your LAN IP is to type "ipconfig" in a command window. In my case its 192.168.1.33.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Originally posted by NóMur
    If you don't know what ports exactly your game is using you can do the following.

If you are using the ZyXEL 623R-T1 modem/router go to your NAT settings and in line 1 where it says "All ports" enter the IP of your computer on the LAN.

Except thats not very secure... at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭NóMur

Not secure but, a good way to see if the problem lies with port forwarding or not.

If it is just figure out what ports your game is using and enter them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

cheers lads, got it all sorted.

Anyone looking up this thread

http://www.netgear-support.com/ts/doc/port_applications.htm

has list of ports used in the games.

Advertisement