Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A6 - Few Problems - Any Advice?

Options
  • 13-04-2004 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a few recent problems with my car. Anyone know what could be wrong or recommend a good mechanic in the Dublin area. I could go to Audi but they will just rip me off and probably not fix it.

Car: 2001 Audi A6
    Engine: 1.8T
    Transmission: Multitronic (CVT)

(1) Wandering Idle - when stationary the revs will sometimes go into some kind of bounce. Instead if remaining at a steady idle it will go from nearly cutting out to just abot 1,000 and just bounce up and down. No problem when actually driving. Any ideas?

(2) Brake Light - The brake warning light comes on every few hours. Does this mean that there is a problem or that it just needs new pads or something?

(3) Air Bag Warning Light - just came on the other day. Its the warning light and not the "Deactivated" light. I presumme this must be some kind of electrical problem as its not something that has ever been used.

(4) Noise from Transmission - when the car changes gear at very low revs (1,000- 3,000) there is a strange noise from under the car (in the transmission). It sounds like someone rubbing a stick across a washboard. No actual problems with the transmission other than the noise. Any ideas?

I appreciate any advise anyone may have. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Originally posted by Robertr
    (1) Wandering Idle - when stationary the revs will sometimes go into some kind of bounce. Instead if remaining at a steady idle it will go from nearly cutting out to just abot 1,000 and just bounce up and down. No problem when actually driving. Any ideas?

I've an '02 A3 and it does the same thing. I think it's something the engine computer does to conserve fuel when you're stopped in traffic.

I'd get the other problems looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭pedro ferio-vti

Ok,

1) Wandering idle - I've heard of this problem before not only with your own car but also with Mk4 Golfs. Apparently the ECU forgets where the car is supposed to idle at so it bobs up and down all the time. It could be a problem with the VAGE ecus.......

2) The brake light - Did you check the brake fluid in the engine bay and when was the last time the pads were changed???

3) - Are you sure the sounds are coming from the gearbox itself? Could it be coming from the clutch or torque convertor perhaps? I'm not entirely sure how the audi tiptronic gearbox works exactly so it might be best left to a pro. Is there any oil on your driveway or any odours coming in like oil or whatever?

The other problem sounds electrical sometimes when you reset the ECU they go away. Another option would be to try the VAGE.ie forum, theres guys that would be a lot more knowledgable on panzer mobiles than I would.

Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I had that bouncing idle on my A3 a few years ago and was also loosing braking power every now and then. ie I'd hit the brakes with the normal pressure, nothing would happen and then I'd have to put the brake pedal to the floor very quickly! Apparently both were related. Some seal broken somewhere. Tbh I'd go to audi myself or at least a garage with a vagcom to interagate(sp?) the engine management system.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭jabaroon

I also had (and still have) that bouncing idle problem with my E200. Its been back in to have it looked at by the plonkers in MSL on 3 occasions now. Each time a thicko tells me "ehh...yeah, we cleaned the throttle body housing and now everythings fine..."

Advertisement