Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toe-In

Options
  • 13-04-2004 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭

Got a new used car recently and I just noticed that the back wheels are not straight - ie: They look a bit like this / \. Obviously not that bad. The passenger side seems to be a little worse. What causes this? How do I fix it? Is it something to do with tracking or is something worn out and needing replacing?

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

Check what the toe-in angle is supposed to be in the manual or a Haynes manual. Some cars are designed with a noticable camber angle...

On my own car the design front toe-in is 1/8th of an inch front and 1/32 to 3/32 of an inch rear. Not noticable to the naked eye though.

Are the tyres wearing unevenly?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭pedro ferio-vti

Yeah, what type of car is it? Tracking normally fixes your toe angle, it can go out for a number of reasons. Normal wear and tear, faulty suspension struts, or the car could have been handbraked into a kerb by a previous owner acting the tit. Also it could be a car that has 4WS (4 Wheel steering) and the system may be buggered leaving the rear wheels in a silly position, its very rare to have that though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭highdef

It's a rear wheel drive 1998 Ford Scorpio. The tyres could be wearing unevenly but I can't tell yet as they are brand new but the rear passenger one certainly looks like it would be wearing out more on the inside. I'll get the tracking checked out as soon as I get a chance. BTW, it has 84,000 miles on it. I just thought that there were some parts worn out. It'll be cheaper for me to get the tracking done first anyway.

Advertisement