Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F/S Idea

Options
  • 13-04-2004 6:22pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

even though the worst of the muppetry has died down here (touch wood), perhaps there should be some criteria met before you can access this forum.

I would propose something like, say 50 posts, 100 max before anyone can post here, that way a) It makes it difficult for banned users to continue their arguments under a different name straight away, and b) it means noobs will get (or have to get) a better idea of the place before they start suggesting how it should be run, or giving any feedback on new Ideas.

It might be worth thinking about to cut back on muppetry, and make people get the hang of the forum etc.

just a thought,

Flogen
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

You have much to learn.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

any chance of elaborating ecksor?

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

there's a system on www.overclockers.co.uk

each member has a trust account. what happens is, if some1 buys something off the person they post a comment on how the exchange of goods happened.

maybe this would work?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by flogen
    even though the worst of the muppetry has died down here (touch wood), perhaps there should be some criteria met before you can access this forum.

I would propose something like, say 50 posts, 100 max before anyone can post here, that way a) It makes it difficult for banned users to continue their arguments under a different name straight away, and b) it means noobs will get (or have to get) a better idea of the place before they start suggesting how it should be run, or giving any feedback on new Ideas.

It might be worth thinking about to cut back on muppetry, and make people get the hang of the forum etc.

just a thought,

Flogen

*BOGGLE*

No, not big enough...

*BOGGLE*

I will return to this thread after I have completed a film script based on kitchen equipment accusing each other of having extremely dark pigmentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

i think todays flooding of the f/s mobile forum by certain trader types has highlighted that this may not be the worst of ideas.

just my 00.02c

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

I presume Flogen meant Feedback and Suggestions, not For Sale. I made my one of my first posts here about the Discworld forum, which was set up pretty sharpish afterwards. I like the idea of new ideas from new people.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

aye after reading back over the post he did mean feedback and suggestions :o

yeah, sorry for the confusion, feedback/suggestions is what I meant.

I understand the merits of new ideas from new people, but how many people actually post genuine suggestions here (that havent already been suggested before) after only a few posts? a min. count of, say, 50 would mean banned users and the like couldnt keep re-registering and continuing arguments, and the genuine posters would know abit more about boards.ie before they suggest anything

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

maybe they shouldnt be allowed to post on ANY forum till they have 100 posts:D that'll soon sort them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Yeah. You can't post till you have a high enough post count. It's so crazy it just might work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

well what if a brand new user spotted something they thought should be changed or had a good suggestion. By the time they get to 50 posts they might have forgotten about their suggestion or have learnt to live with some inconvenience and accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Oh please don't make me insult you again :(

Oh please don't make me insult you again

ok
    well what if a brand new user spotted something they thought should be changed or had a good suggestion. By the time they get to 50 posts they might have forgotten about their suggestion or have learnt to live with some inconvenience and accept it.

thats a fair point, but one could argue that if the problem is that easily forgotten then it wasnt much of a problem at all... and 50 is just a figure I picked for no reason, 20 or something lower like that could be as effective.

Flogen

Leaving aside the fact that I completely disagree with this idea, you do realise that we have had new users that reach the 20 mark in about an hour or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

why won't you shut up?
    WHY

[edit] not you ecksor

Make me.

ok, it would have been much easier to say that in your first post, rather than just 'you have alot to learn', but thats not important. I understand how easy it can be to reach 20 posts, or even 50, but it could help even somewhat with trolls and re-regged accounts, where a banned user would have to go around posting 20 or more posts just to continue their argument, its just a way of making things harder for people to re-reg after a banning (and unless they were careful about their posts they could easily be picked up as a troll before they even got a chance to post here).

Flogen

ok, it would have been much easier to say that in your first post, rather than just 'you have alot to learn', but thats not important.

It would have been easier, but it wouldn't have been what I meant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

flogen,

I am not exactly clear about what exactly you are trying too state.

For what it's worth imo Boards.ie reflects life and if you were too ban someone from posting an idea on the 'feedback/suggetions' forum, until they have established themselves or their credibility in a manner that might suit you. Is defeating a large part of the 'feedback/suggestions' forum potential. :confused:

P. :ninja:

Im not saying they have to be credible, as if they need the support of 3 mods or something like that, just they should have afew posts to their name before they make suggestions, that way they have a better understanding of the forum, and it could cut back on muppetry

Flogen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

creating stupid threads = muppets... tbh Flogen...

i was refering to the likes of the free sangre thing from before, and other similar subjects, but i guess creating pointless/stupid threads is the same, like the one from earlier asking people to take a survey or something like that.

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Just because you have a high post count it does not follow that you automatically have the ability to post non-muppet like posts. Why do you think that it is so important that peoples' access to this forum should be restricted, until such time as they have a "such and such" post count? Is it your opinion that other fora do not rank as high as this forum?

The most annoying thing for me on this forum is people who constantly come up with ridiculous ideas just for the sake of it. So I will ask you once again, how or why do you think that a users post count = non-muppet? Why 50 posts?

Im not saying that all muppets have a low post count, i know that isnt true, but it would serve to stop people re-registering after being banned just to continue an argument here or give people hastle.

And I dont think this place is higher in standing as compared to other forums, but it is where new ideas are made and supported or rejected, so it does have a hand in shaping boards.ie to some degree (although I know it is mainly up to the admins).

It was just a suggestion tbh, something I thought could help cut back on some of the muppetry, not all of it though.

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Arguments don't just happen here. They happen all over the place. Look at the Web Hosting and Soccer boards for prime examples. A lot more muppetry went on on those 2 boards then I have seen happening here. There is no "simple" solution to stopping muppetry/flaming etc... If there was I am sure that it would have been implemented by know. If people re-reg under a troll account, I don't know anybody that has ;) , well then they are usually picked up pretty quickly. And If somebody wants to go through 5-10 minutes of his life recreating accounts, just to be 12 clicked(or 2 clicked as it is now), well he/she/it has some serious life issues that will never be solved by a bb service.

Imo your idea is bad. It means more work for the admins and serves no purpose.

point taken, perhaps it is more hastle than its worth for Admins.

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Originally posted by amp
    I will return to this thread after I have completed a film script based on kitchen equipment accusing each other of having extremely dark pigmentation.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Top class :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

You were the muppet on the free sangre thread because you demanded on reinstating your stupid opinion every other post.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Any criteria based on post count = incentive to spam to reach said criteria = bad thing.

I simply cant put this any clearer. Even for the soccer forum I said this was a bad idea when it was suggested.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Isn't spam a good thing though? Don't spammers get made mods these days? ;)

Advertisement