Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I study History?!

Options
  • 13-04-2004 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hey ppl!
    First of all....i just wanna introduce myself and say hi cos i'm new...so hi!

I really need some help. I'm having a lot of trouble with trying to study history. I'm getting on grand with all my other subjects. There's just too much info in history, ya can't bluff it like most other subjects!
    Does anyone have any good and effective techniques on how to learn the stuff? All i'm doing now is writing out loads of notes but I still don't know the stuff. Only a few weeks left and i'm starting to panic!
    Better yet, does anyone have predictions for this year's paper? or at least can tell me what's safe enough to leave out?
    I'd really really appreciate any help ye can give me.

Thanks a million,
    Shingles

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

ask seamus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Oh, come on, there's two months left, that's plenty of time! Right?

Just keep at it. It'll click eventually. Make out essay plans for various aspects of a topic, not just the basic facts - e.g. for Hitler

- his rise to power
    - how the weaknesses of the Weimar Republic enabled him to come to power
    - how the political climate in Europe favoured the rise of Fascist dictators (compare with Mussolini and possibly Franco)
    - general domestic policy 1933-39
    - how he created a totalitarian state
    - Hitler as Fascist dictator (compare to Mussolini, discuss elements of fascism in general)
    - foreign policy 1933-39
    - how far Hitler's foreign policy was to blame for WWII
    etc.

Making out general timelines is also handy.

But basically the only way to learn anything is to... y'know, learn it. Only you know what works best for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Shingles!

did you know that Hitler stuff off da top of ur head? oh jesus i'm so screwed lol
    thanks for da advice i'll try it out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Best thing to do is look over past papers and pick 2 topics per section (Your teacher should of done something like this already) and make essay plans for those 2 sections. Make sure to know your special topic off by heart of course!

Don't try to cover everything because chances are you can't... and if you do your knowledge will be spread too thin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭smelly girl

oh shingles, its too late. Give up, go home, repeat.
    DOOMED!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Its pretty hard to cover the entire history course. Like Damnyanks said, try to cover at least 2 topics from each section.

I usually went through a topic, writing out main points as I went then wrote an essay based on what I remembered. Check through the essay to see if you missed anything(fix it if you did) then in future use that essay to revise the topic. I found it much easier to learn from my own essays than from the book. Its also a hell of alot less intimidating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭andrew12g

take very simple notes e.g

Connoly
    born-cowgate, edinbourgh slums
    joined brit army
    false name+age

and then do them in groups of 7 max before moving on to another section of what ever the essay is.
    also u dont need to put in stupid words that are irrelivant like is ,and etc.
    as long as you can understankeep them nice and short so you can memorise them easily.
    also writing things down helps you remember things alot more easily

What course are you doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Sarunas

Hey,

Here are my predictions (I worked this out in January)

Section A:

Davitt
    Land Q
    Parnell
    Home Rule
    Gladstone

Section B:

Nothern Ireland
    Cumann na nGeadheal
    Lemass
    Inter-Party

Section C:

Bismarck
    Eastern Q
    Anglo-German relations
    Imperialism
    Tsarist russia

Section D:

Cold war
    Musssoline/Fasicst Italy
    Hitler/Nazi Germany
    Spanish Civil War

Some Q *SHOULD* come up, I hope it does... cause thats what I should/have to learn.

The way to learn history that works for me is to visualise it as a film (It kinda works for me). The other way that I learn history is to make very brief notes (say only important things such as dates, events, places...) and read them over and over.

Here goes another day which I did not study at all...

Hope my predictions will help you,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Thats a fair bit of the course there. Study all of that and youll be perfectly fine. All you ahve to do now is study it :)

Advertisement