Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

would you work in iraq?

Options
  • 13-04-2004 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

i wouldn't not for all the money in the world too dangerous !!!

Comments

I work in credit control & invoicing. debt collection would be a mite too dangerous for me to do there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Badgers

I'm a Saddam Hussein impersonator.

I imagine I'd be ok out there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Big Ears

No , for the first reason stated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

How much would I be paid, and where would I be based?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Apparently some of those "Security" contractors are pulling down €1500 a day. Not much use if your in a body bag thou !!!

Gandalf.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TomF

No I wouldn't!-- Huh-UH!-- Nope, nope, nope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

not particularily those paramilitary people

the money is huge....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

Would you put your dick in a blender?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Zaphod B

Thanks Homer, it needed saying.
    Why oh why is this in politics? After hours maybe but not here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Do they have a benefit system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Originally posted by gandalf
    Apparently some of those "Security" contractors are pulling down €1500 a day. Not much use if your in a body bag thou !!!

Gandalf.

Them boys are special forces. They have a different mentality. They crave that kind of action - no problem for them.

I would work in an aid relief role - but not for one of the companys "rebuilding" Iraq.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

If the current taking of hostages wasn't going on, then ya I would. Only if the money was good, excellant security and health insurance is a must :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

They're paying well above the odds for people. Example: there are/were recently contracts going for 6 months for IT support (basically like an easy sysadmin role here). You'd get maybe €20-23k a year on a job like that here, with it taxed of course. They were offering st£50k (~€75k) tax free for the same thing in iraq. It's basically inbuilt hazard pay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Hmmm, I'd have applied for what Moriarty mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Originally posted by Moriarty
    They're paying well above the odds for people. Example: there are/were recently contracts going for 6 months for IT support (basically like an easy sysadmin role here). You'd get maybe €20-23k a year on a job like that here, with it taxed of course. They were offering st£50k (~€75k) tax free for the same thing in iraq. It's basically inbuilt hazard pay :)

Any links ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by Moriarty

For that maybe I could be tempted, I mean if you show them your Irish they MAY not be that intertested in harming you. I mean they let the Chinese and Russians go after they realised thier not nationality.

I'm not saying they wouldn't be any risk, but might be worth the risk for that money.

Or maybe I'm just too money hungry

Originally posted by Rabies
    Any links ? :)

http://iraq.jobs.monster.com/

I kid you not!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by Johnny Versace
    http://iraq.jobs.monster.com/

I kid you not!
    Immediate opening for small arms mechanics in Iraq. Min of 1 yr assignment. Must have min 3yrs experience preferably in army MOS 45B. Excellent pay and benefits. Hazardous duty. Must pass pre-employment background check, drug test, and physical exam. Food and lodging provided. Possibility of tax free earnings. Eligible for R&R after 120 days (3 times annually).

lol are they really serious??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ColonelGadaffi

Where there is risk there is oppurtunity. I would gladly work in Iraq. Some of the jobs offer great salaries

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

There is an "AskSlashdot" thing about the Iraq LUG here. He talks a bit about working conditions and what not over there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

I don't think the Irish card would be something to depend on out there as another poster mentioned. no, Iraq ain't a place to be at the moment.

Originally posted by alleepally
    I don't think the Irish card would be something to depend on out there as another poster mentioned. no, Iraq ain't a place to be at the moment.

Ah sure everyone love's the Irish. Sure aren't we always up for the craic.

Ah bejaysus!

:D

I'd have no problem working in Iraq (depending on the location and what country I was working for.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

Dunno. I think you would be safe enough. If you were just based in a camp for 6 months. You'd come back effin loaded. I mean there not gonna be asking an accountant to guard the grenades or anything.

It would be sound enough I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Not a hope in hell would you get me there, its hell on earth. I dont fancy my body being beaten with crowbars and dragged along by cars, and then strung up on a bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

I got a job spec for a network administrator from Gis-a-job.co.uk in Baghdad. It paid £50k a year.
    I couldn't believe what a low-ball that was. Rumsfeld must have authorized it.

Advertisement