Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Filter...

Options
  • 13-04-2004 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Just wondering if any of you have bought any DIY water filtration kits and if so where you have gotten them. I would ideally like a filtration and chiller kit, but worst case a basic filtration one.

Cheers,
    Jab

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,437 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Theres a few different options:

(a) you can fit a filter under your sink and have a "third" tap
    (b) some fridges come with water filters
    (c) use a jug filter

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭jabaroon

Specifically for the under sink option, what options exist?....where can I buy, does anyone have any recomendations etc...

Thanks
    Jab

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Has anyone installed a filtered water tap to their sink or used a third party?
    Any experiences would be welcome.

I have seen some on eBay which seem resonable but would prefer a local supplier and I haven't come across any ads lately.

thanks

Redman

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭charlesanto

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I am fitting a coarse particulate filter upstream of the UV sterilising tube that I am fitting.
    I should mention that we libve in a rural area and are on a GWS.
    Sometimes the water is brown after heavy rain.
    The main reason for filtering the water is to prevent damage to the ceramic mixers in the taps.
    UV is just to kill anything that may be lurking in the water like Cryptosporidium, Giardia etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Brown water after rain, yeah same prob here, rural setting with own water supply. Do you have any more info on that particulate filter and UV tube you're fitting, CJhaughey? And the how would be cool too, as I have no idea where to start doing those things :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

I just bought an under sink duel filter system from these: www.pureflowdirect.co.uk

Very happy with their service;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

morgana wrote:
    Brown water after rain, yeah same prob here, rural setting with own water supply. Do you have any more info on that particulate filter and UV tube you're fitting, CJhaughey? And the how would be cool too, as I have no idea where to start doing those things :o
    I am lucky as I am starting from scratch with a new build so I can fit all this stuff now.
    However I don't think that any of this is rocket science.
    the water filter is just a normal 10" type with a pressure release I got mine here http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Meare-Solutions and a couple of the medium or coarse filter elements (can't remember which).
    This should be fitted upstream of anything else in the house I have usually seen it mounted in a little box outside so it is easy to get to when you change the filter.
    He also sells the UV sterilising systems which kill a lot of the usual nasty bugs.
    these are fitted inside and are run from a 240v source. they use around 35w for the 2nd biggest model they have.
    I am not sure which model we will get as I haven't worked out the flow here.
    The UV tubes will need to be replaced every year at a cost of €100 ea.
    This isn't cheap but for peace of mind I think it is worth it.
    It is up to you which model you choose, but for drinking water only a small model will be sufficient.
    If you do decide to get a UV unit PM me and I will get one at the same time and maybe haggle him for a deal on the postage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Thanks CJH for the offer. I will need to do a good bit more research on the matter before I decide on a system ;) ... by then you'd probably have yours installed and up & running :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Got a great deal from Waterworks on ebay
    www.299softeners.com

cost me €40 plus shipping for the tap unit and one filter
    got four more filters for €72
    all inc vat

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I got one from

www.simplywater.com

Installed under sink in 1/2 hour. It's a third tap for drinking water only - works fine and totally gets rid of the chlorine taste fron mains water. If you buy bottled water it'll pay for itself in no time (€100 ish for kit with extra spare filter - can't be sure of that though). Filter is supposed to be changed every 6 months - mine's in 18 months now and no probs.

Advertisement