Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sports Journalism in Ireland - what do you think ?

• 13-04-2004 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭

I tried to start a discussion on this topic in the News/Media forum but for some reason it was deleted. Odd. Maybe the sports forum is the correct place for it. I'll try again.

Anyway, here's what I want to say and I'm interested in hearing others' opinion on this.

Today I've read/heard/seen various coverage of a story about a professional athlete who used to play for one of the national teams. Today it was announced that this athlete is now available to represent their country.

So, what's the most idiotic thing you've heard/read/seen since this story broke ?

For me it was listening to the muppet who 'phoned in to Newstalk 106 (Radio in Dublin for those of you fortunate enough to be outside the pale) and basically said he was no longer supporting Ireland because of this.

What I believe to be lacking in the writing is the examination of the people management and human resources issues here. I don't believe it is in essence a sports/soccer story but really it should be an exploration of the failure of a national organization and specifically the failure of one of it's previous managers to effectively manage it's human resources.

I'm a bit disappointed that this hasn't been analysed or discussed and it only reinforces my belief that we have second rate sports journalists.

Is it just me or is the quality of sports journalism pretty dire in this country ?
    Compare for example this situation and the situation in Swim Ireland where they cannot afford the CEO ? Why isn't that story getting similar coverage ? ? Surely it's of greater importance ?

I read recently a great article by English journalist John Nicholson - it's worth taking a look at
    http://www.football365.com/opinion/john_nicholson/story_106258.shtml

interested in your opinions on this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement