Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jobs as a Translator

• 13-04-2004 10:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

Anyone know any good sites/places for looking for a job as a translator? My missus has a Degree in Applied Languages and soon to have a Masters in Translation and is beginning to look for a job. These positions in this country are a bit scarce and tend not to appear on the likes of monster, irishjobs, etc, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Her languages are German and Spanish (and English, obviously)

Thank you in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

I have a degree in Applied Languages myself, and so far all I've found is that there are sweet f. all jobs at the moment for non-native speakers, unless she'd consider multilingual call-centres or teaching. As it is, it seems that people don't want to pay proper rates for these kinds of services, much like what happens in the it sector.

Sorry I couldn't help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

There used to be agencies that dealt largely with language related jobs. Now i know most of the jobs would be call-centre jobs but it may be worth a shot. There was one on Dame St. that seemed to be big on languages. Sorry I can't remember the name but a wander up Dame St. should find it (It's one of those offices that are upstairs, with a smallish sign outside that's easily missed). Hope that's some help.

Another idea is maybe to try the EU offices and/or the dept of Foreign affairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

Cheers all, I'd say I'm going to have to brush up on the one year of German I have cause I'd say we have to head over there... 35,000 yoyos starting pay as a translator, compared to 15,000 working in the customer support call centre for tampax or somewhere along those lines, after 6 years in University, I think not!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Undoubtedly you would be better off on 35k in Germany but don't forget the high taxes and the more or less equal cost of living in the major cities.

Advertisement