Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone know about this

Options
  • 13-04-2004 11:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

Al Jazzera doctors its footage of the Hospitals after it is shown that the first tape they ran was showing predominantly men in the hospital so they changed it to showing only women/kids/old people. So by that logic there are no men i Fallujah of fighting age. Coz by sheer statistics one of em would have had to have been killed or wounded.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Zaphod B

Sorry... I have had a couple of drinks tonite but I'm pretty sure that's not the problem... I really don't understand what you're referring to here. Any chance of a link?

I'm sober, and i still don't totally follow. I'm assuming you're saying that Al Jazzera footage isn't worth watching because its doctored for propaganda purposes? Where did you get this info from?

Besides, every piece of footage you see on TV is doctored to some point, with the exception of Live camera footage. Hence the reason why it runs and stops within the timeframe alloted to the camera footage during the news presentation.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What's the difference between injured men and injured women?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Showing injured women & children makes a conflict looks more horrific then if you show only injured men.
    It's a fact of propaganda.

It's a fact of propaganda.

Its also just a way to ensure more watchers for the TV station. Hence the reason why crime/drama is more covered by the press than happy events. Its not necessarily an attempt at generating support for Iraqi's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

What, incidentally, was Al Jazeera reporting when it showed this footage?

I'm asking because there are plenty of rational reasons why they may have changed the footage (i.e. the original male-dominated pictures would be a bit pointless in an article discussing the innocent female and child casualties and injuries caused by the conflict).

Before dismissing something as propaganda, wouldn't it be first a good idea to discover what the topic was?

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Originally posted by chewy
    Al Jazzera doctors its footage of the Hospitals after it is shown that the first tape they ran was showing predominantly men in the hospital so they changed it to showing only women/kids/old people. So by that logic there are no men i Fallujah of fighting age. Coz by sheer statistics one of em would have had to have been killed or wounded.

Apparently there are kilometres-long lines of people leaving Fallujah; US forces basically started firing everywhere and at everyone including ambulances, homes, according to aid workers who are now leaving (have a look online at the aid organisations homepages and reports).

Watch for the increase in doublespeak too - the "private contractors" being some of the 15,000 privately hired ex-Rangers, SAS and SEALS, which isn't so openly reported. Shame that they may find their "lives may not be fully lived out" (Rumsfeld quote RE: Fallujah on April 8th).

The falling dollar and strengthening Euro has buffered us a lot; http://edition.cnn.com/2004/US/04/11/gas.prices/

US prices have gone up around 20% in the past 3 months, coinciding with the drop in $ to Euro rate.

All in all it's not been a good year by US standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I think a lot of ppl want to dismiss Al Jazzera's reporting at as propaganda because it doesn't sit well with them, I'm sure theres a lot worse things going on than cnn or fox are reporting whether or not Al Jazzera's reporting is over the top or not I can't say.

But I don't think ppl shouldn't shoot them down (no pun intended) just because their reporting is harsh and different to the western worlds reporting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Zaphod B

Looking at some of Chewy's other posts I don't think he's implying that Al Jazeera is attempting to create propaganda here...

Chewy can you perhaps explain again just what it is you're trying to say here? Ta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

i meant to post the above at the end of the al jarzerra post...

its was quote from somebody else i was trying to play devils advocate and see if its was true... i was too tired to go check meself....

sounds plausible though, as you said al jarzeera is more trustworthy then most but i might be able to see them doing the above...

"The BBC is reporting that At least 87 US soldiers have died in action this month while aid agencies counted at least 470 Iraqi dead in the Sunni city of Falluja alone last week, with 243 women and 200 children among them. This would mean that over 94 percent of the casualties in Falluja are comprised of women and children. "

from a repulican poster who couldn't stop laughing at the idea of it being 94%

trying to check this out now too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭gom

Many hospitals int he muslim world segregate Men and WOmen and Children.
    I believe a 3rd world country such as Ireland does also ;)

As an editor and if you want to get viewers/readers emotion is a good tool. Al Jazera never says that Women and children are the only dead but that they are among the dead.
    The truth is the life of a woman or child is considered more valuable to a society by almost everyone. It must be a natural philosphical thing or something.

So yes. I'd do the same as Al Jazera and show dead babies on the TV so people know that Babies are dying

Advertisement