Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lightweight DivX player?

Options
  • 14-04-2004 1:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

The old Thinkpad 600E used to be fine for watching the odd mpg/avi while in bed, but what with the better compression in newer codecs, it's 366Mhz brain isn't able to keep up anymore.

Are there any programs that can force the movies to be played at a lower quality than intended so older computers such as mine could play them without skipping/jerking/etc? I know DivX Playa has this option, but the program itself is a memory hog which doesn't help. And VLC doesn't work.... half the time it plays the sound without video :/

Ta...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

You tried stuff like Media Player Classic?

It'd most likely work with mplayer under *nix, but you'd have to install a unix distro... unless this works? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

Bsplayer my friend
    www.bsplayer.org

use meta xp skin,
    very cool :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Cheers chaps, I'll give 'em a go later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Ick. No dice, still jerky, slow and out of sync (though BSPlayer is nice).

Moridin, if you can recommend a distro that will work out of the box with a Thinkpad 600E (I always have problems with the NeoMagic Graphics, sh*te soundcard and USB ports when I throw linux onto it), allow me to run a GUI without choking the system to death AND get my Divx's running sweet... I'd have no problem wiping the Laptop again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

what about knoppix with a nice icewm window manager

ive gotten divx to play ok with windows 98 on a 600e, any later and it grinds to a halt. Linux i cant say, hopfully ill get some time to play over the next while.

also, check out the links page on www.geexbox.org, there might be somthing there for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

In Media Player Classic you can select which filters are being used to process divx, you can lower the quality from there. 366Mhz isn't a lot to play divxes with, check out your task manager, and you'll see the cpu is probably at 100%

Advertisement