Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ata 100 dvd-rom

Options
  • 14-04-2004 7:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭

the xbox has only 1 ide port. it has a hdd as master and a dvd rom as slave, it uses an ata33 cable,i am planning on switching this to an ata100 cable, but doupt it will make any difference as the dvd rom will force the ide port to run at ata33

anyone know if it is possibal to buy an ata100 dvd-rom?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

No its impossible you have to booy iut with the original drive and then hot switch them otherwise you have to flash the bios on to a samsung drive so it aint worth doing
    Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

the DVD-Rom won't force the hdd to run at ata100, and I don't know of any common DVDrom drives which run at ATA100.
    Modern IDE controllers can clock the drives independently.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

XBOX doesn't have master and slave drives. Look at the jumpers on the drives - they're both set to Cable Select (CS).

The only two things the ATA100 cable will make a difference on is loading games from the hard drive (I haven't noticed much of a difference myself) and smoother playback of the intro video clips on some games like GTA: Vice City or Links 2004.

Oh, some LiteOn drives run at ATA100 BTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

No its impossible you have to booy iut with the original drive and then hot switch them

guess you ment "boot it" - i thought that was only for hard drives, anyway hot swap is a no go, i'd sooner go without

Modern IDE controllers can clock the drives independently.

woo hoo, glad to read that i'll leave it be so

XBOX doesn't have master and slave drives. Look at the jumpers on the drives - they're both set to Cable Select

i am pretty sure cable select marks them as master and slave automatically, well thats the way it worked on old compluters

Oh, some LiteOn drives run at ATA100 BTW.

i'll check it out thanks, but at this stage i might leave it as is

Advertisement