Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

book reviews

Options
  • 14-04-2004 7:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭

Just an idea...how about posting up reviews or comments on any books or resources about Japanese culture/language we are using??

would be good to get an insight into what people find useful.... :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

books should defo be added to that sticky so.

what books have people used ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

I did notice that thread, but I didn't know whether it was appropriate to post about books there, or if it would be better to start a new thread...

I bought Kana Pict O Graphix the other day, its a pocket sized book which teaches you hiragana and katakana using mnemonics (sp?)
    the concept is quite good as its sort of harder to learn the kana than it is to learn kanji (imo) purely because they dont have any meaning as such - plus this book gives you handy little english sentences to try and drum in the prononciation and also link it up to the picture, so you remember the sound and also the symbol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

I have this book: Kanji & Kana by Wolfgang Hadamitzky and Mark Spahn, published by Tuttle.

It's a remarkably neat and complete reference for the kana and joyo kanji. It is also beautifully laid out, despite containing an amazing amount of detail and various indexing systems.

It's not a textbook but it is an absolutely indispensable reference for Japanese learners.

Advertisement