Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[REQUEST]Shops in the North that give good exchange rates

• 14-04-2004 9:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Heading up the North on Friday (Belfast to be exact) and I was wondering if anyone can tell me which supermarkets give good exchange rates for Euro v Sterling. I've heard that Sainsburys were giving a rate of 73p per Euro last month, I also heard before Christmas that some shops were giving a 1:1 rate...?

Has anyone been up there recently and got any recommendations?

TIA,

viking

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

I go to Newry every couple of weeks, and indeed, Sainbury's exchange rate is fairly decent.
    If you're are looking for toiletries/cosmetics/etc; Superdrug has some great bargains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Genghis

I can confirm the Sainsburys rate. Not sure about elsewhere. I was up before Christmas and last Summer, can't say I remember anywhere giving any special rates on the Euro at all (in fact some places simply wouldn't take it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭paddyc

I live in belfast

ah best thing to do is stop off at Ulster bank they have the best exchange rate at the moment and change a few over. Argos, Index, Sainsburys and Dunnes are all good shops for a bargain especially if you get the right exchange rate, all the shops like Aldi and Lidi and River Island always seem to be a few euro cheaper in the north.

Newry always handy to get to now days since motor way, roches stores were giving 1:1 b4 the holidays there.

paddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

I go to Newry weekly for my shopping as I have gotten tired of being ripped off in the 26 counties. Exchange rate in Sainsburys is indeed 73 p to the euro. I found that (in Newry anyway) the big British chains didn't give a great rate but the smaller independent ones did. Even at the rate not being great you are still poised to save plenty on a weekly shop alone never minding the luxuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Back home after the w/end.

Belfast was a lovely place except I didn't feel that it was that much cheaper than the South. General shopping was ok, a couple of bargains here and there, but eating out was quite expensive. For example, we went out for an Indian on Friday which cost £38.20 (€58.77). A very similar meal cost €34.50 in Mullingar. It was the same when we went to another restaurant the next night. Drink prices are relatively similar to pubs in the South.

On our return on Sunday, we stopped off in Newry at the Quays shopping centre. A small note for anyone thinking of doing some shopping there on a Sunday, the shops don't open until 1pm but the restaurant upstairs is open so you can grab a bite to eat while waiting for the shops to open. Sainsburys gave a great rate of 73p per Euro and we filled the car with groceries. Again, some things were on a par with prices in the South but they do some great 2-for-1 bargains so watch out for those.

A lot of the other shops accept the Euro with rates ranging from 65p to 70p. "Semi-Chem" gave 70p and they do some good prices on toiletries/cosmetics etc.

Overall, Newry is definitely worth visiting maybe once a month/2 months for a big grocery shop.

viking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

You cannot beat Iceland in Newry for cheap groceries. They're exchange rate is not as good as Sainsburys though.
    You should give their 'own brand' food a go, IMO it's considerably better than the named brand stuff like birds eye, Ross etc.... I'm not normally a fan of 'own brand' but the Iceland stuff is top notch and a bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Where is Iceland in Newry? What was the exchange rate you got?

viking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Do you know Newry at all ?
    It would be hard for me to describe where it's at if you're not, it's just off Monaghan St.
    Can't remember the last exchange tbh, it would prob be better to change your €'s in the Buttercrane bureau de change, they're probably the best around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

There is a shopping park beside the Canal Court Hotel(follow inst). TK Maxx and Argus and JJB Sports. You can park there and walk toward Dunnes Stores grocery doors. Iceland is about 50 Yards in front of you. That said they have their own car park behind it although a bit inaccessible. They were giving 60 p for the euro last time I was there but even your credit card company will give a better rate than that.

Advertisement