Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VPN Lag

Options
  • 14-04-2004 9:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm having a bit of a problem with a VPN tunnel and I'm totally stumped. I have a VPN going from a Draytek router to a Sonic firewall on two seperate remote sites, connectioning to a head office. Now the VPN works on one site perfectly but the other site experiences lag ( when receiving infomation from the HO but not the Internet)and the same settings are running on both routers. I was wondering if the contention rate on the DSL line could be causing the problem, but I am unsure as to why the same isn't happening while download from the internet. Any help you guys could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Baldy (Mike)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭Baldy

I have a little more infomation I try to set a VPN from my office to the HO of our client and we are experiencing the same problems! Could this be the router or the router config ? Or could the firewall be over loaded with the two VPN connections?

Thanks again Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rash

Have you had any joy.?

Does the Draytek that does not experience lag have the same firmware as the other 2?.

Can you force down the "non lag" VPN, then activate the test VPN in your office, if you do not experience lag, then it points to the sonic side.

If it looks like it's the Sonic side, you could reconfigure the VPN with less intensive settings, ie use DES rather than 3DES. Less secure but less intensive.

It would be odd if the Sonic could not handle two concurrent VPN...is the sonic firmware upto date?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭dmd

Before you go in and start playing with the config.

Try a ping on the remote ip of the VPN, see how many miliseconds it is. Then maybe try a traceroute.

If your applications are latency sensitive, say for vnc, I'd try turning off polling, also using something like an ssh tunnel might help, when you turn on compression, then again, it may not.

Check the overall lag between the two sites before you go storming in changing anything.

Advertisement