Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Corsa problem - restarting engine

Options
  • 14-04-2004 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hello,

I was wondering if any of you have had a problem like this with an opel corsa. This car is a 95 and the problem is, when I've been driving for a while, stop the car and then go to restart it, it has problems restarting and the orange ignition light flashes on and off.

I brought it to an opel dealer and after two hours of "labour" they said the problem was the clocks behind the dash. The temperature gauge on the dash doesn't always work when driving but I don't see how the clocks would affect the car from restarting. The clock replacement parts are €380 new but I am reluctant to go for it until I find out a bit more.

Does this problem sound familiar to any Corsa drivers ?

thanks for your help

Jennifer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

Originally posted by jennyrusks
    Hello,

I was wondering if any of you have had a problem like this with an opel corsa. This car is a 95 and the problem is, when I've been driving for a while, stop the car and then go to restart it, it has problems restarting and the orange ignition light flashes on and off.

I brought it to an opel dealer and after two hours of "labour" they said the problem was the clocks behind the dash. The temperature gauge on the dash doesn't always work when driving but I don't see how the clocks would affect the car from restarting. The clock replacement parts are €380 new but I am reluctant to go for it until I find out a bit more.

Does this problem sound familiar to any Corsa drivers ?

thanks for your help

Jennifer
    First of call, I take it your car doesn't have an immobiliser? ;)
    I agree with you about the clocks - if one is defective, I don't see how that will interfere with your car starting. If the gauge doesn't always work (but sometimes does) then I would guess that it would be more likely a faulty thermostat. If so, that is a cheap part - should be no more than a tenner.
    As for paying €380 for new clocks!! That would be just mental! On a '95 car you should expect to pick up a set for clocks from a breakers yard. €30 should get you the part I would have thought!

As for the not starting - does it always start ok from cold? This could be something to do with fuel evaporation or a faulty fuel pump. It could be that the engine management system may be faulty or just out of whack. If it is, there may be a way of resetting the ECU (electronic control unit). I don't know about Opel cars, but sometimes this is done by depressing the accelerator pedal a number of times in a set amount of time while the ignition key is at position II. Have a look in your handbook if you have one, or if you can find an Opel enthusiast website there would surely be someone who would know whether this is possible.

As a test, try turning the ignition off, wait 30 seconds, then turn ignition on (to position II), wait for 3 seconds, then turn it back off and wait again, then turn on and try starting. By doing this, you'll have made the ECU run the fuel pump to prime the system and clear any vapour in the rail.

You shouldn't have to use the accelerator pedal at all when you are starting the car.

Good luck, and don't let any garage rob you blind, especially for a '95 Corsa (no offense)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭jennyrusks

Thanks for that IrishRover

Will try the key and accelerator combination and see what happens.

Jennifer

Ok, no probs but you should only need to use the key alone when trying to start it.

The resetting of the ECU is a separate thing which may or may not be done by using a sequence of full depresses of the accelerator pedal while the key is at position II.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭dogz

yeah right a thermostat for my civic was e80 unfitted and that was 2 years ago. i fitted it mself but a tenner come on id say more like 50+

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

just as a matter of interest, what opel dealer did you bring it to?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by dogz
    yeah right a thermostat for my civic was e80 unfitted and that was 2 years ago. i fitted it mself but a tenner come on id say more like 50+
    Fair enough, I was basing it on my experience, and a thermostat for my car costs £3.99.

was that new or from the breakers. i could have gotten one from a breakers for free but didnt want the bother of going up and getting it

Yeah, it is the price for a new part from the manufacturer's spares dept.
    Still, they could be more expensive for other things.

OH OK. BTW WHAT CAR GOT

Advertisement