Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up pinholes...

• 14-04-2004 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭

My friend has an Eircom Cayman 3300 router thingy. I spent an hour yesterday trying to open the right pinholes to let Baldur's Gate 2 work on the internet.

After that failed miserably, we found a little page entitled "Software Hosting", and in that it contains what i presume to be settings for different games, and thankfully Baldurs gate 1 was there, and the settings for that are the same as for baldurs gate 2. All in all, it finally worked on the internet.

Basically, BGII requires ports opened between 3200 and 3300, in TCP and UDP, and then port 4264 in UDP and TCP too. Those are taken from the top of my head, i cant remember if that was it exactly... but that doesn't matter. All ineed to know is how to set up the right pinholes/nat/whatever it is i have to set up. Cos i will have to do this again for games that aren't in that list.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

jesus i thought you were gonna actually ask a question there mutant, instead of answering impeccably as you usually do! it's a sad day when mutant has to ask a question!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    All ineed to know is how to set up the right pinholes/nat/whatever it is i have to set up. Cos i will have to do this again for games that aren't in that list.

oh sorry, my mistake! that really is shocking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Down with that sort of thing! Boo hiss!

Heh heh heh :p i do my best, always available to answer to the best of my knowledge :p

Maybe one day my knowledge will be complete, and i can be the ultimate human FAQ book. As it is, without the router at hand, i can't experiment with it, and so i had to resort (shock and horror!) to asking a question.

off topic mutant, but could you tell me about this irishbroadband 'box'? somebody was telling me about it the other night but i was drunk and was just nodding and smiling. it's 'not really a modem' or something they kept saying

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

1. Browse to http://192.168.1.254/

2. Click "Expert Mode" in the left hand menu.

3. Click OK to continue.

4. Click "Configure" in the left hand menu.

5. Click "Advanced" in left hand menu.

6. Click "Pinholes" from the list presented. It's under the heading "NAT".

7. Click the "Add" button.

8. Proceed to add pinholes.

Keep in mind that to open ports 2200 -> 2210 for both TCP and UDP you need to add two seperate pinholes. When you submit the changes you will then have to restart the modem, this is given as an option on the next page or just click "Restart" in the top right hand corner. A restart takes about 10 seconds plus another 30 seconds or so to pick the DSL line up again.

Any problems, lemme know.

Rhino: Thats pretty much what i did.

I went into the pinhole config page, clicked add pinhole. Then i specified the starting port (3200), and ending port (3300), and choose TCP, and then redid that process for UDP.

Then i repeated the above for that other port.

BUT, that didn't work. If i remember correctly there's another box near the ver bottem, and it looked important, but i didn't know what to be filling into it.

Griffdaddy: Its not a modem, or a router, or a firewall, or a nat box. Its a box of magic. I tried to take a hhoto, but it failed.. piece of crap camera. Anyway, from what i gather, its like a signal booster/changer, and ethernet card in one. All it really does is boosts/changes the signal from your computer, and puts it through the antenne on your roof. If you do a google for Breeze home, you'll find more info.

Oh, yeah... what I've had to do is disable DHCP on the modem and give my machine a static IP address because that seems to be the only way the pinholes work. I then give the modem the IP address of the machine (which is the second last box on that page) and I usually just set the Internal Port Number to the first port number in the range I am opening. This has worked for Bit Torrent, DC++ and SQL Server but I'm not sure how games might work. Lemme know how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by OrangeRhino
    Oh, yeah... what I've had to do is disable DHCP on the modem and give my machine a static IP address because that seems to be the only way the pinholes work.
    ???? I don't think so - that's not a pinhole, that's a bridge. The whole point of "pinholes" is to allow only specific traffic through to specific computers.

Yes, but when defining a pinhole you have to give it the IP address of the machine in question and if you're using DHCP there is no 100% guarantee you IP will constantly stay the same whereas if you disable DHCP on the router and just configure your machine with a static IP then everything is just rosy.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all your help, i'll be back at my friends house later this week, and i'll try this alright. Whats the worst that can happen....

Yes, but when defining a pinhole you have to give it the IP address of the machine in question and if you're using DHCP there is no 100% guarantee you IP will constantly stay the same whereas if you disable DHCP on the router and just configure your machine with a static IP then everything is just rosy.
    Unless you've got more than 255 PCs on your home network, you aren't going to have any problems with DHCP addresses changing - a machine will always ask for the last address that it used to be given to it again.

(And you don't have to disable DHCP on the router - just disable it on the client).

I disabled it because there was no use for it, one client, one IP... no DHCP on either client or modem end. What's the point of running the DHCP service when no clients are using it?

What's the point of running the DHCP service when no clients are using it?
    What's the point in making unneccessary configuration changes tgo your router, and risking screwing it up? Are you volunteering to go around to anyones house who follows your advice and fix it for them if they make a mistake?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

maybe im missing something but can you not just use a stateful firewall(iptables) and only allow outgoing connections,originating internally, back through the firewall ???

Originally posted by Angry_Penguin
    maybe im missing something but can you not just use a stateful firewall(iptables) and only allow outgoing connections,originating internally, back through the firewall ???
    Won't help much if you're trying to set up a server for someone else to connect to (game server or P2P client/server app).

Ripwave, firstly, the advice was to one person who seems competent enough to know how to re-enable a DHCP server or, at worst, hard reset the router. Secondly, anyone who follows my advice does so under their own free will. I am not forcing them to nor am I offering any sort of warranty or guarantee. I just posted the solution that I had personally found to the problem he seems to be experiencing. If you have a better solution then by all means share it and let us all benefit.

Ripwave, firstly, the advice was to one person who seems competent enough to know how to re-enable a DHCP server or, at worst, hard reset the router. Secondly, anyone who follows my advice does so under their own free will. I am not forcing them to nor am I offering any sort of warranty or guarantee. I just posted the solution that I had personally found to the problem he seems to be experiencing. If you have a better solution then by all means share it and let us all benefit.
    Maybe if you learnt to read, instead of being so defensive, you'd see that I explained that he didn't need to disable DHCP on the router, only on the client. If you only want to offer private advice, use a PM - any advice that you post in public is available to anyone who reads it, so you have a responsibility to point out any potential problems that might occur.

You might also note that Mutant wasn't asking a question, he was explaining how he figured out how to set it up in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Goblin_insane

Does anyone mind me asking what are pinholes?

Originally posted by Goblin_insane
    Does anyone mind me asking what are pinholes?
    "Pinholes" allow you to permit traffic addressed to a specific port through to a specific PC inside your network.

http://www.netopia.com/en-us/equipment/tech/c_faq.html#ph_no_1

• Advertisement
Advertisement