Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panzer Dragoon Orta

Options
  • 14-04-2004 1:13pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Was meaning to write this a long time ago but better late than never.

The xbox doesn't have many exclusives that are worth getting. It also doesn't have many japanese action games and is instead flooded by souless american action games. However PAnzer Dragoon Orta is both of these and also one of the best games you will ever play. And before I go on I'd like to say shame on all you xbox owners who did not buy this beautiful game. You all deserve to be beaten to a pulp with a copy of Enter the Matrix.

PDO is a very simple game. It's an on the rails shooter not unlike afterburner or space harrier. However the difference with this game is that you have 360 degree vision and have the ability to speed up and speed down. you can also change into 3 different forms of dragon that each have different offensive and defensive attributes. This may sound quite simple but believe me this game is on of the most strategic shooters I've played. It's not exactly Ikaruga or R-type in this respect but a lot of the situations and bosses will require a lot of strategy to beat. Bosses need to be flown around and the correct dragon needs to used at the correct time.

The first thing you notice about this game is just how gorgeous it looks. And just when you think it can't look any nicer it out does itself. From the beautiful refraction and reflection effects from the water in the second level to the level where you fly through a huge armada of flying ships while tracer fire crisscrosses the sky, this game is a joy to behold. Thers tonnes of gorgeous effects that only the xbox could handle. just look at shaders used on the dragon and the bigger creatures. Its also very cinematic. The first level boss is one of the best setpieces. Its a giant airship that you fly around destroying piece by piece while the crew shout orders in panic and distress.

I have to give special mention to the soundtrack and voice acting. The soundtrack reminds me a lot of the soundtrack for wings of honneamise. Strange and weird instruments are used to give the music a primitive but alien feel. (you can get a fantastic remix of one of the best tracks 'More than a weapon' from www.ocremix.org). The voice acting deserves a mention. I'm not sure if the language used is japanese or if it's a made up language. Also I have a promo version and am not sure if the voices have been changed to english in european version. The actors in my version are all excellent. Orta is particularly good. However my favourite has to be the female leader of the dragonmare squad.

If you have an xbox and don'thave this game then buy it if you can find it. Theres tons to unlock (including a perfectly emulate version of the original saturn panzer dragoon) and for an on the rails shooter it has a far better storyline than it deserves. The only bad thing I can say about it is that the easy difficulty level is pathetically easy and any gamer can breeze through it in 2 hours. However the normal difficulty setting is quite challenging and should last a lot longer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Am i the only person who thought that game was a huge let down? It just bored me :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Everyone is entitled to their opinions. However you disappoint me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Sorry retro, ill go play suikoden 2 until im back in yer good books ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

is an excellent game, the sub games are excellent, all adding little pieces to the story. Also, the first panzer game looked sooooo horrible, i think first generation 3d titles are definitely in the rose tinted catagory when thinking back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I was shocked with how bad Panzer Dragoon looked. I remember the screenshots and how lovely I thought the reflections looked. Then I saw how lazy they were.
    They just stuck low res 2D sprites underneath everything and it looks crap. I thought the 10 fps framerate was bad emulation until I played the original on my friends saturn. Still it was nice to get it free with the game and it is mildly entertaining still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

It's a great game, crafted wonderfully. The fact that you can get this game for near €12 online makes it an ultimate no-brainer purchase aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Liver-Lips

good to see im not the only one playing this title.

shame on the public for not supporting the viewtiful joes of the world, the panzer dragoon ortas, the harvest moons and the ikaruguas.
    for shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Panzer Dragoon Orta is a great game indeed one to take out for a quick blast every now and then.

Only picked up Viewtiful Joe recently and was totally blown away.

Awayone know where i could find a copy of ikarugua?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

What version of Ikaruga are you looking for?

I'm sure you *cough* get a backup version of the Dreamcast version off the net

Advertisement