Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interview on RTE Radio 1 "SeaScapes" this Thur 7.30pm

Options
  • 14-04-2004 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi all,

To round off the glut of Caroline-anniversary programming, RTE Radio 1's maritime programme "Seascapes" will be doing a feature and interview with myself this Thursday at 7.30pm.

Note the changed time from that indicated when we mentioned this on Media Beacon.

Btw, thanks for all your support and messages during the special programm I did on Phantom on Monday - I'm glad the music was so much enjoyed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

go steve!

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

Twas a cool interview steve. As was diesel in the coffee on Monday. How did you end up going onto radio caroline in the first place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Steve Conway

Thanks.

I was living and working in London and in the sumer of 1985 got involved with a land-based pirate station "South East Sound" which broadcast heavy rock and alternative music every Sunday. Eventually it got heavily raided and closed down (the station's engineer was actually fined £1,000 - a lot of money back then - *and* had to do 240 hours community service - he protested to the judge that he had been providing a community service!!).

One of the guys from SES went on to Caroline, and after a lot of begging on my part, he put me in touch with the Programme Controller. I auditioned, and went out there as a newsreader, chucking my job in the computer industry. I had a great 4 years, even though I ended up penniless and homeless by the end of it. It enriched my soul, and my sense of adventure!

I was offered some radio gigs on local stations in the UK after Caroline went aground, but I didn't believe in working in an enviroment were you were allowed no creativity or control, so I went back to computers. I rejoined Caroline when the satellite service started in 1999.

When I moved home to Dublin in summer 2000, I found Phantom on the dial and fell in love with it . . . got Gerard Roe to interview me on his show, and while I was there, I cheekily asked for a gig . . . been here ever since!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Despite the long running joke I may add........

Pete Reed still sends in the occasional text message when Steve is on the air, telling him to abandon the building because it's drifting !

Ger Roe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭christi

that sounds like something Pete Reed would do! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

Thats really cool. Must have been scary giving up your job in computers to go live on a ship! One of those peopel who ahve high principles.. like the way you won'd't work on any of the postions you got offered after it ran aground.

Advertisement