Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When cards collide - or overlap

Options
  • 14-04-2004 4:07pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭

In my quest to be the ultimate poker geek I have been doing some reading into the strength of starting hands - primarily to try and coach myself into the pro's and con's of certain hands. In the midst of doing some research I came across some interesting stuff that helps to highlight the overlapping elements of poker - especially Hold'em.

Take the hands below and ask yourself which one you would prefer to play against the others.

ThJh
    AKo

I think most people would favour the AKo as it is recognised as one of the better starting hands - but remember whichever hand you pick only has to compete against the other 2.

So this is where the maths comes in. Lets take the hands individually against each other.

Well ThJh is about a 54% favourite against the two fours. And ThJh is nearly 60% underdog to AKo - so you would think that 44 against AKo is a no hoper - you would be right but for the AKo - it's a 54% underdog.

This is all very well but what does it mean - well for me it means that any 2 random cards can provide a serious threat to any other set of 2. Which means that sometimes the cards are not enough to ensure that you win the pot. The way that the cards are played can mean more to a successful hand than just holding the 'apparently' better cards.

Also, it highlights the home truth that protecting ones stack is of paramount importance - especially in tournament play. Much more important than winning any given pot. This concept is so important it will get a line all of its own.

Protecting ones stack is of paramount importance, much more important than winning any given pot

Hyzepher

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Originally posted by Hyzepher
    Protecting ones stack is of paramount importance, much more important than winning any given pot
    Hyzepher
    Generally true but with poker being poker sometimes you just have to take risks. If you only play the nuts then you'll be blinded out of the tournament. Sometimes you have to bluff, sometimes you have to decide if somebody else is bluffing and call them.
    You should protect your stack but you should also be willing to risk the lot if the situation indicates its worthwhile. Risk vs reward and all that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Originally posted by lafortezza
    Generally true but with poker being poker sometimes you just have to take risks. If you only play the nuts then you'll be blinded out of the tournament. Sometimes you have to bluff, sometimes you have to decide if somebody else is bluffing and call them.
    You should protect your stack but you should also be willing to risk the lot if the situation indicates its worthwhile. Risk vs reward and all that.

Absolutely true.

All I am saying is that you need to be aware of the fact that sometimes protecting your stack is the right play - regardless of the cards. We already had a discussion about calling an all-in with KK or AA at the very first hand of the WSOP - those types of risks are not worth it.

Of course your stack maybe too small to warrant protecting and risks are then necessary.

Hyzepher

Advertisement