Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Media Contacts

• 14-04-2004 4:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I know we have a very good resources sticky on the forum here. I'm looking to see does anyone have a good source of contacts for the Irish print media. I'm mainly looking for the national newspapers. I know there is some book that publishes such info but I don't have the name of it.
    Basically, I need to get a press release done and sent out.

Thanks
    A.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

that sounds like a good idea...

however, because I'm only starting out in journalism myself, I cant really help you.

If anyone has contact details for press releases or for contributions (ie where people can send in articles to papers etc) please post them on the media resources sticky.

If I have time I'll try to find some myself, but I'm abit bogged down with college at the moment.

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

I posted a sticky there, medialive.ie is the website. Handy drop down list for newspapers and mags contact addresses and so on. ONly problem is it's advertising contacts as opposed to editorial BUT I remember what book I'd seen the editorial contact lists in - An Phoblacht diary. It's ages ago and don't know if they still have the info there but I'll be able to sort a copy and I'll try do up a webpage with the contact info I glean from it.

A.

nice one, thanks alot for that

Flogen

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

"MediaGuardian Media Directory 2004" (£17.99) has (for the UK at least) listings of over 12,000 media contacts...

http://www.guardianoffers.co.uk/mall/productpage.cfm/guardian/BERWBO0904241963/30829/MediaGuardian%20Media%20Directory%202004

[NOTE it is not the same as "the Guardian Media Directory 2004" (as found on amazon.co.uk), this has a less colourful cover, around 2000 less contacts, and may not contain other stuff]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

I have posted 2 jepgs to the media resources directory with phone and fax numbers for Irish news outlets.

Handy reference to have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

The Writers and Artists Yearbook is the most comprehensive and best value media contacts and advice publication that I have ever used.

It is a must have, and is reasonably priced and highly respected. [Includes Ireland Media].

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

The Institute of Public Administration Yearbook is an excellent source for this info.

http://www.ipa.ie/content.asp?id=64

Good luck in journalism, btw, flogen. It's not the business it once was, though. I've been through it.

thanks for that link, and thanks for the good wishes, tbh I dont think I'm all that pushed with reporting and that, I've developed an interest in radio journalism, and the real wish is to be a novelist (although its foolish to have nothing to fall back on IMO)

Flogen

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by flogen
    the real wish is to be a novelist

Does any one do journalism just for the sake it anymore? :)

lol.
    I know what you mean, Im just not going to be too foolish, while I do want to be a journalist of some description, being able to live off writing would rule... focusing on being a writer and nothing else is about as short-sighted and foolish as joining a boy band and convincing yourself you can make a living from it (not that decent writing should be associated with pop music :P)

and there are afew really commited people I know who just want to be journalists, and fair play to them, I just dont think I could hack it for the rest of my life, not being a reporter anyway.. maybe afew years of it, but I'd prefer the lazier jobs of reviewing, columnist, or writing stories from press releases!

Flogen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by monument
    Does any one do journalism just for the sake it anymore? :)
    Ah there are a few. I'd quite like to do it myself but I can't very well totally switch direction again. I'm pretty sure I haven't the writing style or "what it takes" either but that's another kettle of whinge.

Completely off-topic for the thread (but doubtless flogen will do a cleanup list at some point) but I got Tom Humphries' new book the other day and thought "bastard" when I read the introduction by Kimmage. He was a little miffed that Humphries can get an entire report written by the time a final whistle blows while mere mortals take another few hours to write something less impressive. Like Kimmage I was a little envious.

The Writers' Handbook is a yearly publication with a number of useful addresses and so on.

There's also a US Edition

The Writers' And Artists' Yearbook (mentioned by Paddy) is the main competition.

I'm really only placing the links as a excuse for my real reason for posting - to moan about Humphries. Fecker

Advertisement