Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

are Prepay upgrades locked?

• 14-04-2004 5:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

Are the Vodafone Ready to go "upgrade" phones SIM/Networked to Vodafone?
    and
    Are the O2 Speakeasy"upgrade" phones SIM/Networked to O2?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭v10

Yes and Yes.

O2 lock all phone postpaid and prepaid.

Vodafone lock all phone that appear in the prepaid range whether they are prepaid or not. For example a Vodafone Nokia 3410 is locked in prepaid and postpaid but a Vodafone Nokia 6310i is not locked because it is not available in Vodafone Prepaid.

Dunno what Meteor do,but I think they're all locked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

Meteor also lock the phones.

I think you have to spend something like a minimum of 150 credit before they will unlock it.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Ro-76

v10 wrote:
    Yes and Yes.

O2 lock all phone postpaid and prepaid.

Vodafone lock all phone that appear in the prepaid range whether they are prepaid or not. For example a Vodafone Nokia 3410 is locked in prepaid and postpaid but a Vodafone Nokia 6310i is not locked because it is not available in Vodafone Prepaid.

Dunno what Meteor do,but I think they're all locked.

Can a Vodafone prepaid phone be used with Vodafone BillPay sim, or is it specifically locked to the prepaid number?

Thanks,

Ro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Ro-76 wrote:
    Can a Vodafone prepaid phone be used with Vodafone BillPay sim, or is it specifically locked to the prepaid number?

Thanks,

Ro

Phones are just locked to Vodafone or o2 or whatever. Not pay as you go or bill pay. Just the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭thejovialhost

We live in Ireland.of course everything is locked.people can't just do what they want you know...oh wait...WE SHOULD...meh live with it.resistance is futile my friend
    I predict a riot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Yes, of course it's locked. If you wish to buy an unlocked phone, simply pay full price for one. If you want a cheap phone, buy it off a phone company and live with the fact it's locked. The choice is yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭thejovialhost

i hope ppl realise you can ring up the network and get the phone unlocked.just takes a while thats all and you probably have to have it for a few months or spend x amount on credit etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Eye

Or if you had any sense you could say hello to your friend google and he might be able to find ways of unlocking phones for you free of charge and without having to spend €xxx on credit or have it for x amount of months ;)

not that i would condon any such activity now or anything, but just saying.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Ro-76

Pythia wrote:
    Yes, of course it's locked. If you wish to buy an unlocked phone, simply pay full price for one. If you want a cheap phone, buy it off a phone company and live with the fact it's locked. The choice is yours.

The reason I ask is that my GF had a nokia 3330 a couple of years ago on SpeakEasy, and my O2 BillPay sim would not work in it. I want to buy a Motorola v3 on Ready-to-go (cheaper than most sim-free prices) and use it with my Vodafone BillPay sim.

Ro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

As far as I know, the O2 phones used to be SIM locked also - they would only work with the SIM that it originally came with. Perhaps that's the issue with your phone? I don't know if they still do that, though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement