Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Processor and speed of Boards

Options
  • 14-04-2004 10:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭

Right, we all know that when we open a thread on boards, the browser "drags" a certain amount, but why does my processor go up to 100% usage when I open a new page?

It a 2ghz machine, so it's not as if there anything wrong there. What is coming from boards to my PC which is making it use the processor flat-out? I was listening to a DVD there and the sound stopped when I opened each new page here. The more I think about, the more it's getting to me.

I'm using the stats from Ctrl-Alt-Del to get my info. Is it's the same on Mac/Linux? I used this site from a Mac a while ago now, and I think it was the same thing.

Any ideas?

S.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Originally posted by Sinecure
    Right, we all know that when we open a thread on boards, the browser "drags" a certain amount, but why does my processor go up to 100% usage when I open a new page?

We do? It does?
    It a 2ghz machine, so it's not as if there anything wrong there. What is coming from boards to my PC which is making it use the processor flat-out? I was listening to a DVD there and the sound stopped when I opened each new page here. The more I think about, the more it's getting to me.

The most likely culprit is the javascript menus. Try turning those off and seeing if it reoccurs.
    I'm using the stats from Ctrl-Alt-Del to get my info. Is it's the same on Mac/Linux? I used this site from a Mac a while ago now, and I think it was the same thing.

What browser were you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

It goes to 100% whenever I'm using Windows Media Player. A little annoying, but it might just be my computer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Sorry, happens in IE and Netscape, both latest versions. (Don't start the usual rants, please :mad:)

AthlonXP 2000, 512Mb. Just restarted the machine today.

Couldn't be arsed start to look for things now - so how do I go about turning off the js menus (i.e. from boards, or the browser?), and when I do, what is the alternative menu without having to go through the boards.ie/vbulletin lark?

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭DrEvil

Unless you actually have performance issues on your pc, when loading webpages, there is nothing to worry about.

If your internet browser is performing badly you might wanna try scan the pc for adware/spyware(try adaware to remove) or even viruses.

If there is no performance problems then you have nothing to worry about this is perfectly normally. The higher CPU usage is probably attributed to the scripting language which in this case is javascript as eskor said earlier.

When loading most webpages I find that my CPU usage jumps to around 80 to 100% just before a page is displayed. When the PC has any processing work to do the CPU SHOULD be utilised to it's full ability or your computer is just wasting its' available resources.
    For example, say if your PC had work to do which would take 5 secs with ur CPU usage at 100% for that time, otherwise it would take 10 secs at 50% CPU usage, which would you want 100% or 50% usage?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭DrEvil

Oops never read your post properly. sry

Just reread the ur post and i'm not sure what it could be but if you could suppy more info about the problems it would be a help. Have you noticed the problem with any other sites?

About turning off the scripts in
    Interet Explorer i think you goto the Tools menu -> Internet Options then select the Secuirty Tab and choose Custom level and i think you can disable it there somewhere.

In netscape you goto the Edit menu then Preferneces at the bottom. In the window that opens select the Advanced catagory then the Scripts and Plugins sub-category you can disable it here.

As for accesing the forums you should try just use this page http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/index.php?s=

Tell us if the scripts being off helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Why are you using Netscape?
    www.mozilla.org/products/firefox

I use IE, Opera, Firefox and Amaya on my machine at home (P3 800) and it runs perfectly fine, under Win2K (popping debian on this weekend).

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'm pretty sure its trying to work out how to render the Javascript menus... I dunno why thats such a big issue though.

I use Boards a lot while listening to MP3's and never had the sound stutter or stop...

Beyond that I cant really tell you much.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

I get a .5 second spike of 75% cpu usuage when i go to the homepage but it never seems to affect anything

Advertisement