Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cranberry juice

• 14-04-2004 10:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know where 100%, pure cranberry juice can be bought, as opposed to the 'cranberry juice drink' that everywhere seems to sell?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

My housemate thinks cranberry juice tastes like vomit.

She is wrong.

You can get it in Dunnes. In big cartons. Cheaply.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

dunnes do it?

sweet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

quite bitter actually. :rolleyes:

sorry smith, couldn't resist. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

Ocean Spray is lovely Cranberry juice, I think it's pure juice too. It's more expensive than the St. Bernard brand but I find that very bitter.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Lucy Lu

Yes Ocean Spray is one of the best ones. Here in the states it is the one reccomended by the National Kidney Foundation. I am drinking it right now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Yep doc recommended cranberry juice a few years ago. Ocean spray does normal (sweetened) and lite (sweetened with nasty artificial sweetner). They also do loadsa cranberry + 'another fruit' drinks. Definately taste better than own brand range. But I dont think I've ever seen pure (non-sweetned) cranberry juice anywhere.

Will cranberry alcopops do ya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Oceanspray is 25% cranberries i think, lovely stuff tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 mosadit

OceanSparay isn't pure, but it seems to be the best in normal shops. If you can spend about 7 euros for half a liter (it is such a shame!!), you find it in Health shops (the ones which sells herbs and natural stuff). There is one, pretty expensive, in St. George St. across the road from Dunnes Stores.
    Cranberry Juice is great for kidneys and blader problems!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Ocean Spray Cranberry&Blackcurrant > everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

Originally posted by secret_squirrel
    Will cranberry alcopops do ya?

Mmmm, Cranberry Bacardi Breezer!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

get some drinks skills woman. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭emmemm

Why not buy real cranberries or are they not widely available?

afaik they only really grow in the Us hence not widely (if at all) imported.

I have a few bags of dried cranberries for my morning gruel, but even they were hard to find.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

you can actually buy ocean spray cranberries in the fruit & veg section in dunnes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,442 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Am rather fond of Oceanspray "Pure Juice plus Vitamin C" , the listed ingrediants are Grape Juice (50%) , Apple Juice (28%) , Cranberry Juice (22%) , Vitamin C.

On the pack is labelled "Cranberry naturally sweetened with grape and apple" . Is €2.99 in my local centra, is very nice and isnt made from concentrate or have artifical badness in there at all, highly recommend it.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

You can definitely buy the pure stuff in Dunnes. Trust me. I have drank it many a time.

And you can buy little cartons of the berries fresh in Tescos, and you can buy them frozen mixed with other berries in Marks and Spencer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 mosadit

Actually it is not true Secret Squirrel.... you can find cranberries growing wildly in Europe too... for example in italy, near my house there are loads and my family and me always pick them to make herbal teas!!!
    The problem is that (I don't know you have never seen cranberries!) they are pretty little and full of awful hairry seeds, so that you can't actually eat them like normal berries!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

yeah, the ocean spray stuff is aobut the nicest, although im not too sure about pure cranberry juice. unless it comes in very small cartons.
    mostly its a mixture between about 12%-30% for most cranberry drinks.

it is good for your kidneys though. sorts them right out over a couple of days.
    the only problem is that it will give you a dose of the trots, it will give you acid indigestion, and if you drink too much of it, it will put on weight! theres a huge amount of sugar in natural fruit juices. its good sugar, but it will still make you into a fatty :)
    i went through a phase about 6 months ago and drank nothing but cranberry and black current (the mutts nutts) and i think i put on a bout 5-6lbs without changing anything in my diet or routine.
    imagine! me, with a pot belly ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Super value has a 4 pack of its own brand for a little over €4 i think. I get that and a 4 pack of orange and have cranberry & orange which is bassically sex on the beach without Vodka

I've never had sex on the beach without vodka being involved....

• Advertisement
Advertisement