Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't copy a PDF file

Options
  • 14-04-2004 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have a CD with about a dozen sizeable PDF files. I'm tyring to move the files into a folder on my hard drive, seems simple enough! But there are 3 files that when I try to move any of them, I get an error 'MS-DOS error', and thats it. No sign of them in the destination folder. The files open perfectly from the CD, and all the rest of the files have copied perfectly onto the hard drive.

This is doing my nut in, so if anybody has any suggestions I would be much obliged.

Thanks in advance,

Robbie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Dunno what version of Acrobat you're using, but in 6, the File menu has an option to "Save a copy..." which lets you, em, save a copy of the document somewhere else, funnily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭ai ing

When you open the files from the cd can you copy and paste parts of the text? If you cant check to see if the file is copy protected as acrobat lets the file be protected so it cannot be copied

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

It might also signify that there is an error with the CDROM, or the file could be corrupt.

Can you open the files from the CDROM directly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Looks like they are corrupt. Can you open them and then save them to your HD? Even if the PDF is protected that wouldn't effect your ability to copy the entire file to another location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Thanks for the replies, guys! I've found the problem. There are some corrupt pages in each of those 3 files. The files open as normal in Acrobat 5.0 full, but won't save either from there or by pasting and copying from the CD. These files are quite big (approx 100mb each), so what I think is happening is that when I open the file in Acrobat, it's only opening the first part, but when I scroll down several hundred pages (lol), I eventually get to the corrupt pages and the DOS error. I hadn't noticed I started this thread, so I apologise.

Next question is....

....is there any way to fix a corrupt PDF file?!

Thanks again for the accurate replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Can you copy them again from the original source? (i.e. prior to burning them to disc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

No, unfortunately the original source has moved to America and is uncontactable! I guess they are unrepairable, but as most of the document is still readable, I still need to get them onto my PC from the CD, corrupted or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

If you like I can try open them in Acrobat, and resave them out for you.

Advertisement