Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gore, Yummy.

• 15-04-2004 3:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭

What scenes of gore stand out when you think of the horror genre ? For me its the dog in "The Thing" Really creative and to this day looks original and completely disgusting . ( if you havnt seen the movie go buy it now ! ) Sooooooooo much beter than the CGI monsters of today , some of my favourite gore is in that movie - The head that runs around by itself with the spider legs is great too. OOO OOO The dead body with the twisted faces is absolutely stunning. If you watch the documentry on the DVD it tells you how they did all the gore , really interesting.

The shape shifting scene in " An american werewolf in london " Is quite Ikkyish !

Some of the scenes from " Braindead " Are deliciously revolting ! The spoon through the back of the head for one ;)

now you go.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

That's weird, I was going to post about The Thing yesterday. I watched it again yesterday afternoon, it's fantastic. If it were released now, it would still be fantastic, it's shocking it's past twenty years old.

I only heard yesterday that there was a remake of it too, apparently a bad one, I had no idea.

A lot of the gore in the story of Ricky is very well done. Like when the guy gets his face plained off, or Ricky punches some guy in the cheast and his insides fall out, or where the dog is kicked in half, or when they stuff razor blades in his mouth and tape it up.

Versus also has some cool gore effects. Like when the baddie punches on of his hench men in the face and his hand goes all the way through. He removes his hand and clenched within his fist is the guys eyes

CGI cant do gore as well as make up effects simply because with make up effects you get skin texture and colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

I only heard yesterday that there was a remake of it too, apparently a bad one, I had no idea.

'The Thing' with Kurt Russell is a remake of 'The Thing From Another World'. I'm not sure if there's another one after that though.

Great movie! Great gore! :D

'Hellraiser' movies have a good bit of gore, with the Cenobites & the hooks....not always realistic looking though! The first appearance of the chestbuster in 'Alien' is a great moment that stands out.
    I quite liked the bits with the chainsaw in the new 'Dawn of the Dead' :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Well its not so much a remake but it was inspired from "The Thing From Another World" There isnt another remake after that.

Aye some good stuff in Versus but some crappy stuff too... Why does every film seem to feel the need to have someone chopped in half down the middle, It always looks ****.

OOOOO Iche the killer has some great gore , completely forgot about that. The nightmare on elm street movies have some really original gore too. And as TCamen mentioned " dawn of the dead 2004 " has some very good moments , I liked the way it didnt shy away from the gore ala alot of horror movies these days, Saw Shaun of the dead last night and theres some good " zombies eating insides " its

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

IIRC, a bunch of tarantulas pulling a man apart in a library, in The Beyond. Very odd.

Also lots of acids falling on people's faces in that and melting them.

Any Lucio Fulci film really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

shocking gore:

gore-bush-bi.jpg

i'm sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

I remember the work in Robocop was very well done. That scene with the, eh, arm removal was very realistic to an eight year old. I watched it when Sky One showed it a few weeks ago, worth it for the bit parts alone. The actors that play Dr. Romano in E.R. and "Red" (the Dad) in "That 70's Show" were playing bad guys and were slightly less bald, it was brilliant.

I have to find out what these people were talking about when they said "The Thing" was remade. It was two seperate people, they both said they actually saw it, they said it was recent and they both knew the John Carpenter film well...

Originally posted by ferdi
    shocking gore:

gore-bush-bi.jpg

i'm sorry

tut tut *shakes head*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by koneko
    IIRC, a bunch of tarantulas pulling a man apart in a library, in The Beyond. Very odd.

Also lots of acids falling on people's faces in that and melting them.

Any Lucio Fulci film really.

Don't forget the numerous eye-gouging scenes! :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Or the guide dog scene for that matter.

But the most horrifying gore scene I can think of is the torture scene in Audition. Just so ****ing realistic, the sound effects! ****ing makes me wince at the thoughts of it!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

two films.. that I haven't seen in ages.. but just stick out in my mind when you say gore.... *whether it be good gore or bad I'm not really sure*

but... 'Bad taste' and 'Return of the living dead III'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

What Tusky said already the dog scene from The Thing and the transformation scene in Warewolf are still great to watch to this day and still repulsive.

Also what stands out in my head is Day of the Dead. Mostly just the gone throughout the film but also the scene at the end where Rhodes gets pulled apart by the zombies. The use of animal intestines really makes it seem that bit more realistic and disgusting.

AFAIK both the Thing and The Thing from Another World were based on a short story,whose name escapes me at the moment, Carpenter's film just happened to stay closer to the original story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by Karl Hungus
    But the most horrifying gore scene I can think of is the torture scene in Audition. Just so ****ing realistic, the sound effects! ****ing makes me wince at the thoughts of it!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Yeah horrible horrible scene.
    Oh with the pins and the piano wire and the poking and sawing and the aaagggggggh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Exploding heads are always good for gore Scanners obviously

http://szilagyi.us/images/exploding_head.jpg

but William Lustigs Maniac also has a big splat scene.

http://www.slasherama.biz/features/lustig.HTML

Mike.

Originally posted by Karl Hungus
    Don't forget the numerous eye-gouging scenes! :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Or the guide dog scene for that matter.

aye Audition... *shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭wild_eyed

I love the scene from evil dead 2 when he cuts his hand off. and his face gets splattered with blood and ash is laughing uncontrolably

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭Philbert

I could probably come up with better if I thought about it but.....

...does anyone remember the opening seen in Ghost Ship when an entire dancefloor of holiday makers were cut in half by a wire and then just started falling apart into piles of meat on the dancefloor!!!!

Though that was great :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

..Ghost Ship..
    Yeah, that and the flashback scene were the only good things about that god awful film.

Originally posted by koneko
    Yeah, that and the flashback scene were the only good things about that god awful film.

by the makers of "13 ghosts" - The only film ive ever walked out of the cinema on, needless to say I stayed away from ghostship...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Tesis had nastily real-looking stuff in it (unsurprising since it's about snuff films) although it's not as gory as some of the other films in this list...I'd go along with The Thing happily as the best of the lot though.

Advertisement