Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Browser Compatabilty!

Options
  • 15-04-2004 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

What browsers do people use now? Where's the best place to check your site for compatability?

Doctor HTML & WebMonkey seem to conflict on if Netscape supports Javascript - do people use Netscape as much any more - do these sources miss some of the new browsers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

I dont wate time visiting sites to check for compatability - simply download the respective browsers and test locally

I currently test on IE, Netscape, Opera and Mozilla

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Ph3n0m
    I dont wate time visiting sites to check for compatability - simply download the respective browsers and test locally

I currently test on IE, Netscape, Opera and Mozilla
    Me too. I'm not overly concerned about whether the page displays identically in each browser, so long as it loses non of its functionality - How many times have you been to a site using Javascript menus when using Mozilla, only for nothing to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭richardo

What browsers do people use now?

An extract from the logfiles of a (fairly) typical website:

1 Microsoft Internet Explorer 102,245 96.5% 1,797
    2 Netscape 2,081 1.96% 62
    3 Other Netscape Compatible 833 0.78% 302
    4 Googlebot/2.1 522 0.49% 224
    5 Opera/7.23 (Windows NT 5.0; U) [en] 86 0.08% 1
    6 Others 34 0.03% 8

There are lots of other entries arount the 0.01% or less but they are all spiders and bots

Doesn't seem so long since Netscape held 75% of the market!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Probably has something to do with the fact that Netscape is rather cack

Be fair. In the early days, IE wasn't a patch on Netscape. Then IE passed them out and they haven't been seen since!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I'd suggest approaching from a different direction. First, validate your code and your css. Be sure to use a few vaildators as some of them miss certain errors. Use the diagonostics available on various browsers to sort out scripting bugs, then handle visual incompatibilities. Some of these would be: differences in font size rendering, different handling of whitespace in code, differences in css support especially the box model treatment to name a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Originally posted by Draupnir
    Probably has something to do with the fact that Netscape is rather cack

Netscape was much more advanced than IE originally then M$ bundled IE with windoze (see antitrust for details).
    NS 4.7 had a number of odd bugs in it, but NS6+ is a standards compliant browser.
    NS has a number of features that IE sadly lacks...

It's a bit like the old video wars - VHS vs Betamax. Beta was better but VHS had the better sales pitch, so people bought VHS recorders and Beta died the death.

The same thing is happening with the browsers. Designers are setting up sites for IE because "no-one uses Netscape". How often have you seen that irritating message - 'This site is best viewed with IE6 in 800x600' or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I think it has a lot to do with how ugly netscape was imo, when I first got internet access at home all those years ago I had both browsers but netscape was too ugly for my liking. Now its a case of familiarity although I think Mozilla is far the prettier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Originally posted by richardo
    It's a bit like the old video wars - VHS vs Betamax. Beta was better but VHS had the better sales pitch, so people bought VHS recorders and Beta died the death.

The same thing is happening with the browsers. Designers are setting up sites for IE because "no-one uses Netscape". How often have you seen that irritating message - 'This site is best viewed with IE6 in 800x600' or whatever.
    The worst case is when they use a browser sniffer and code it badly..
    I was denied access to a number of UK sites a couple of years ago as I was using Konqueror .. .. Even though the browser had no major issues with the site layout the stupid designer/developer had insisted on blocking users ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

could rant for days on this but instead this article might interest some. ymmv
    http://archive.webstandards.org/
    \r

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 albino neutrino

There's a stack of browsers available for download here:

evolt broswer archive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

OK, whats the top 5 then - IE, Opera, NN ?? ??

Did someone mention one called Firefox (excuse my innocence) :)

Edit:Ah, Firefox is made by Mozilla.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Fergal C

You can check browser compatibility here

Fergal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

This guide shows you how to run multiple versions of IE on one PC, all the way back to IE3. You should definitely get this.

http://www.insert-title.com/web_design/?page=articles/dev/multi_IE

Advertisement