Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CSS and cross browser compatibility issue

Options
  • 15-04-2004 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have recently started a site to use for experimentation

www.faelkeep.com

I had a template in storage for a good while (I think it came packaged with a css editor demo I downloaded) and I decided to mess about with the layout. Now, in IE6 it looks ok (a minor issue with the central text box disappearing behind the right menu if the page width shrinks too much).

However when I open the page:

http://www.faelkeep.com/whatnew.html

in firefox 0.8 the list dots overlap the border for some reason, does firefox not recognise the padding tag? or does it measure from the letters and not the list dots.

Anyway, I know it looks pretty crap right now but its very much a test site for playing around with. Any comments, questions, suggestions would be welcome. also a solution for the firefox problem would be good.

thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

First thing you need to do is make the XHTML valid. Your doc declaration says XHTML1/Strict on the tin, but the contents are way off. (No ul tag so the ul style settings in mondo.css are useless, li not closed, using font!?!! Get HTML TidyGUI and use your editor's validator and a few more validators for good measure) Once you've done that you can start experimenting with the padding and margin settings for the list box so that the list generally appears nicely formatted. The list box model has some bugs on certain browsers especially wrt padding and list image alignments so have a go at formatting using margins only or enclosing the list in a block div with the reqd margins (a box screw up work around)
    hth
    \r

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

thanks.

the doctype line at the top is from the original template, I was just too lazy to remove it :)

font was used as a quick fix before I decided what size to have the date. I originally had different sizes in there to compare and contrast. As I said, this is just a test site, a prelude to the idea that will evolve into the final product if you will :) Completely forgot about closing the li section. Thanks for spotting it. might have been awkward when it came to adding to the page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Something

Just to bring to your attention something that justhalf brought to my attention, a very useful artical for using lists for menus and sexing them up with css. Taming Lists

Advertisement