Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 Gb upload cap and Gaming

• 15-04-2004 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi lads and lassies,
    just a quick question that I could not see asked anywhere on the BB forum.

I'm getting BB on friday. Getting downgraded from ISDN to the Eircom €39.99 package ( 4gb down/1gb up ). Yeah yeah I know about IOL/BT an all that :p

I just wanted to know if any of ye that play CS/DOD/COD/1942 or any FPS games if they have gone over a 1gb upload cap during the month.

I'm sure all this tcp/ip handshaking is going to take it's toll but by how much?

Any feed back would be appreciated.

Thx,

Goosey

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

So far this month Ive only uploaded 192mb.And thats 2-3 hours of gaming every night and sometimes more on weekends.Mainly BFvietnam/Desert Combat.
    I dont think Ill go near that cap at all.
    Richie

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

online games tend to upload quite a bit and after a 3 or 4 hour session you could be looking at anything up to 50mb uploaded depending on the game altho Counterstrike isnt as heavy so if you did an average of 4 hours every day you could in theory upload 1500mb in one month from playing games alone, then theres also the uploading you get from sending emails, msn file transfers and small amounts while surfing/downloading etc. If you are a serious online gamer the eircom broadband plus option wud be alot better for you with unlimited uploads.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

it also depends on the rate you set in your games, if you set it low like 8000 you wont upload all that much, ive set mine at 20000 so it uploads quite a bit. Unreal Tournment 2004 Onslaught seems to upload more than any other game also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by Gonzo
    if you set it low like 8000 you wont upload all that much, ive set mine at 20000 so it uploads quite a bit.
    Is 20000 the setting you use for UT2k4 on a 128k up line?; does it work fine for pings etc?.

i dunno wot my rate is in ut2004 but its just set to cable/dsl in the settings, ive got sof2 and counterstrike set to 20000 and i get pings of 22-50, i ping horribly in ut2004 for some reason tho (60-80ms on jolt:()

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Ye I get pretty crap pings on UT2k4 aswell - I cant figure it out everyone seems to get bad pings in it(60-80ms). The connection speed settings are in UT2004.ini I believe or in User.ini; the default is 10000.

just after changing my rate in ut2004 to 20000 and its made no difference, from wot i see most ppl ping 60-120 no matter how good there broadband is so i guess its just very poor netcode, sommet they need to sort out in ut2004's first patch.

Advertisement