Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

local elections

Options
  • 15-04-2004 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

I am very interested in the up and coming local and general elections to be held in june. who would you vote for an d why. by who i mean sinn fein or green party and so on. i especially would like to hear from first time voters and young adults. i vote for sinn fein because i feel it is the right step forward as i think fianna fail has finally shown its true colours. what do you think and why.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by noels little bu
    I am very interested in the up and coming local and general elections to be held in june. who would you vote for an d why. by who i mean sinn fein or green party and so on. i especially would like to hear from first time voters and young adults. i vote for sinn fein because i feel it is the right step forward as i think fianna fail has finally shown its true colours. what do you think and why.

Me waits for the SF bashing to begin again.

I'l be voting for my local councillor firstly (beacuse we wouldn't have got planning permission without him) then I'l be voting SF and labour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭noels little bu

i agree with what you said about waiting for the sinn fein bashing to begin. i have voted for fianna fail all my life and until recently i started reading about some of Sinn fein policies and i had to agree a lot of what they are saying and trying to do is for the good of the nation. i dont know a lot about their history or thier so called involvemnt with the IRA but i have started reading a lot and have discovered that they demand a united ireland. for example the english solders walking the streets of northern ireland. How would we in the south feel if they came and walked on our streets. I am sure we would try to chase them out as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭ishmael whale

True, but English soldiers on bicycles would be a different proposition altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by noels little bu
    How would we in the south feel if they came and walked on our streets. I am sure we would try to chase them out as well.

I think that you should concentrate on their future, the past is very bleak and complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well I will not vote for an organisation that has a private army behind it that may be involved in organised criminal activities down here. Until the IRA disband I won't even look at the Chuckies policies. Not too pushed about a united Ireland as I reckon the Jaffa's will just start blowing us up then.

FF are not an option for me because they are corrupt.

PD's are mini FF except worse in some regards.

FG are a dying leaderless mess of a party who should get it over with and disband.

Labour I have been disappointed with Pat Rabbitte so far but they will probably be getting my first preference.

The Greens have a lot going for them as long as they stop this tendency of shooting themselves in the foot every now and then. They are more than likely my 2nd preference.

Gandalf.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

I agree about SF. Never gonna get my vote as long as the IRA exist. Probably vote Labour, Greens, Ind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭noels little bu

Originally posted by irish1
    I think that you should concentrate on their future, the past is very bleak and complicated.

I whole heartedly agree with you. Like i said before i have been reading and listening to a lot of their current policies and i have to say that i agree with what they stand for. I am not interested in what happened in the past, all i care about is the future and the future for my children. I think that Sinn Fein will go a long way in this election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

greens will get my vote followed by labour

Sinn Fein will never be able to bring myself to vote for them due to the fact they are the political wing of a terrorist organisation although I can not diagree with the fact that they are the party sticking up most for the working class in this country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

In local elections you may get more value for your vote by dismissing party line and going for a candidate who has a proven track record in the area. Personally speaking I'd avoid voting for anyone who is always trying to attach their name to everything when often they don't deserve credit.

From a party line point of view I'd also be strongly opposed to SF. They still have a hell of a lot to prove politically without even considering the IRA issues. And as for a united Ireland, I really don't care. I have a deepening dislike of FF in general but some of their grass roots local politicians are worthy of their seats. The PD's are very tightly coupled to FF and aren't my preference. FG are still not cutting it as an opposition. While I like the ideas some independents have and their courage to run outside the party model I'm also constantly annoyed by the way some barter their ongoing vote for specific things. Ultimately I'd probably give my vote to Labour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

is it just me or do labour seem to be getting a lot more popular with voters these days? I'm wondering is it more because the rest have shown us to be pretty damn useless or do Labour actually have some really good things to bring to the table?

Advertisement