Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major Sig Issue

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

well then you should have no problem removing it if you see that it causing unnesessary offence to your fellow boards users.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Originally posted by Draupnir
    Two relations of mine were injured/killed during ww2, one serving in the British army, one in the bombing of the North Strand. I personally dont like to see Swastika's bandied about in a jovial manner.
    I'm sure if we all look back through our family history there will be some relation that was killed or injured during WW2. Millions died in the war.

Did you take offence to the episode of Fr Ted with the swastika and nazi theme. How did RTE/Channel 4 react to the comments you made to them or is it easier to rant here?

:rolleyes:

that episode of fr ted used the swastika in context (well pretty much:D )

what is the problem with removing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Forget it, Ill put up with them. No worries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Two relations of mine were injured/killed during ww2, one serving in the British army, one in the bombing of the North Strand. I personally dont like to see Swastika's bandied about in a jovial manner.

Not to mention the feelings of any Jewish members.

The swastika is used primarily as a symbol by Hindus, but transferred to followers of other Indic religions like Buddhists Jainists.

Its only in the west, among europeans and US who are not a part of these religions, who incidently are the minority of the worlds population who find it offensive.

Are you suggesting banning a symbol of religion for over a billion people?

Can we ban the crucifixes, references to christianity and hell all religious forums too?

Perhaps be a less small minded and don't think that everything revolves around you and your very sheltered beliefs?

• Advertisement

Forget it, Ill put up with them. No worries.
    why should you, these ignorant pricks need to cop on and realise other people have feelings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

[offtopic]
    As somebody who was previously left permenantly scared (mentally) by the wrong choice of footwear/insulation I find your nic offensive and demand it be changed to APAIROFSOKS.

Its pronounced Ah-Shook Dangit curse dev for giving me such a hard name to pronounce. [/offtopic]

The war is over 60 years and most people I had thought wouldnt take it as a piece of satire however I was wrong but I still dont feel that I should remove my sig mainly as it takes the piss out of someone im friends with.

Originally posted by syke
    The swastika is used primarily as a symbol by Hindus, but transferred to followers of other Indic religions like Buddhists Jainists.

Its only in the west, among europeans and US who are not a part of these religions, who incidently are the minority of the worlds population who find it offensive.

Are you suggesting banning a symbol of religion for over a billion people?

Can we ban the crucifixes, references to christianity and hell all religious forums too?

Perhaps be a less small minded and don't think that everything revolves around you and your very sheltered beliefs?

yeah right, they were using the swastika in its Buddhist context, give me a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Originally posted by ferdi
    why should you, these ignorant pricks need to cop on and realise other people have feelings.
    Tesco are doing a special offer on cotten wool. Go get some and wrap yourself up in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

Originally posted by Asok
    The war is over 60 years and most people I had thought wouldnt take it as a piece of satire however I was wrong but I still dont feel that I should remove my sig mainly as it takes the piss out of someone im friends with.

according to southpark it takes 22.3 years to become funny... so its well overdue.

anyone that really has a problem with it should either turn sigs off, turn images off, or learn not to over react.

• Advertisement

yeah right, they were using the swastika in its Buddhist context, give me a break.

But we arent using it in a mass genocide context either?

It wasn'tthe context it was the symbol that they objected to.

If I put up a swastika for my sig, will you object to that?

It will look exactly the same (except mine won't be parody) and it will be out of "nazi" context?

So that will be ok by you then?

look forget the sigs, ill live with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

jesus christ ferdi, get over yourself. he said it's ok, he'll put up with it..

*should i edit my post so that it doesn't say jesus christ? i know he died for our sins an' all.. but should i be taking the lords name in vane? sounds like a great thread waiting to happen on the christianity board*

no need to be smart arsed about it

:rolleyes: fine, have your nazi symbols in your sigs, i dont care.

most of my grandfathers brothers died fighting the russians on the eastern front so forgive me if that symbol is a lttle hard for me to stomach sometimes.

as long as you guys are happy, thats all that matters.

as long as you guys are happy, thats all that matters.

So we're all happy!

look forget the sigs, ill live with it.

Live with what? I want you to clarify why you object to a symbol which the majority of the world use as as a symbol of well being or good luck?

Do yo think that anything that you are exposed to in a negative way should be banned, over the experiences of the majority of the rest of teh world?

at least two of my great grand uncles were killed in stalingrad and sorry if you find it hard to stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Originally posted by Rabies
    Tesco are doing a special offer on cotten wool. Go get some and wrap yourself up in it.

lmao at that - thats all i have to contribute

except for the fact that i find ferdi's sig offensive as it reminds me of a case of viscous food poisioning i got in macdonalds. everytime i read a post by him i see his sig and my stomach decides to summersaults. would it be possible to have it removed?

• Advertisement

I would prefer not to see the symbol under which 6 million + innocent people were slaughtered and on a more personal note, a symbol which can be linked to the murder of members of my family. Ive explained that I understand the background of the symbol Syke, but if you take your head out of your ass for a minute you will realise that no matter what other contexts it has, the Swastika's is and always will be, the symbol of Nazism first and foremost in the minds of most people.

I liked your other avatar better, made you recognisable

most of my grandfathers brothers died fighting the russians on the eastern front so forgive me if that symbol is a lttle hard for me to stomach sometimes.

Fighting the russians? on the eastern front? in WW2?

Werent the russians with the allies??

Why is it that if the older members of boards and the guys who are "buddies" with the admins do sumthing offensive you all gang up, just laugh it off, make people feel stupid and tell them to lighten up.

Whereas if one of us plebians does anything its bans and removals all round?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

Why is it that if the older members of boards and the guys who are "buddies" with the admins do sumthing offensive you all gang up, just laugh it off, make people feel stupid and tell them to lighten up.

Whereas if one of us plebians does anything its bans and removals all round?

because you're less important.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

good point syke... so ferdis granduncle was a Nazi??!!
    I dont get it

Flogen

touche to the phreak

I would prefer not to see the symbol under which 6 million + innocent people were slaughtered and on a more personal note, a symbol which can be linked to the murder of members of my family. Ive explained that I understand the background of the symbol Syke, but if you take your head out of your ass for a minute you will realise that no matter what other contexts it has, the Swastika's is and always will be, the symbol of Nazism first and foremost in the minds of most people.

Really? I recently attended a service with 200 buddhists where there were swastikas adorning all the wall, they didn't seem to be thinking much about Nazism.

Now let me see, thats in a smalla rea in Ireland. I wonder how many buddhists and Hindus there are in the world...WOW more than there are Europeans!! Fancy that.

Please don't use personal commenst like "headout of ass" I don't think you want to get into any more banning trouble.

Whatever connotation you put on a swastika, rest assured, many more people see it as a symbol of good and happiness. How many black people died in clan attacks with burning crosses? Yet do you want crucifixes banned?
    I liked your other avatar better, made you recognisable

Perhaps you should lend yourself to be more open to change, that advice would serve just as well as a reply to the opening quote on this post.

Originally posted by flogen
    good point syke... so ferdis granduncle was a Nazi??!!

they had to fight, my family is from austria

what do you think of my new sig?

pretty funny no?

check out ferdi's sig! it rocks! unfortuantely, you'll have to remove it..

www.boards.ie/sigrules

• Advertisement

I wouldnt approve of someone with a burning cross sig either ya know.

Head out of ass comment, my apologies, I should have said, if you opened your mind more

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement