Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major Sig Issue

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

Originally posted by ferdi
    they had to fight, my family is from austria

what do you think of my new sig?

pretty funny no?

yea its hilarious.

and you're an idiot.

get back under your bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by Draupnir
    I wouldnt approve of someone with a burning cross sig either ya know.

Head out of ass comment, my apologies, I should have said, if you opened your mind more

My mind is open, you are the one with the closed minded opinion.

I think you need to learn not to piss on someones religion like its not as important as the things in yor world because of what some psycho did 60 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Im not pissing on anyones religion, I merely saying I find it offensive. I didnt demand it was removed did I.

If you use your "open-mind" cant you see that the Swastika is being used by these users to make a joke about oppression? I find that offensive.

If they change there sig to a picture of Buddha(or whoever) adorned with Swastika's then I will accept it as a religious motif. Right now it is offensive to me since it is being used in an oppressive context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Originally posted by Phreak
    yea its hilarious.

and you're an idiot.

get back under your bridge.

but i thought it was ok to have images which were offensive.

but i'll change it now cause i understand that people have feelings.

but i thought it was ok to have images which were offensive.

but i'll change it now cause i understand that people have feelings.

thats nice of you. pity it was removed already.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Would it be possible to have them banned please.

you didnt say removed, but you did say banned.

Flogen

Im not pissing on anyones religion, I merely saying I find it offensive. I didnt demand it was removed did I.

If you use your "open-mind" cant you see that the Swastika is being used by these users to make a joke about oppression? I find that offensive.

If they change there sig to a picture of Buddha(or whoever) adorned with Swastika's then I will accept it as a religious motif. Right now it is offensive to me since it is being used in an oppressive context.

You said you found the image offensive. Having the image on display.
    although I know the full background of the Swastika, for personal reasons I think that its a bit distasteful to have them on public display in signatures

So you implied that any buddhist meeting where swastikas are shown is offensive.

Now you changed your argument. Which is fine so long as you apologise for the original implication. Otherwise you are just throwing up smoke to worm your way out of what you said originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

ferdi/Draupnir, would you like some cheese with your WHINE?

I have a lot of family that were directly affected by WW2, yet I can take this image/sig for what it is. Get over it.

thats nice of you. pity it was removed already.
    your powers startle me:rolleyes:

no one has answer my question:

why should the sigs stay if they are not needed and if they offend other users?

your powers startle me:rolleyes:

no one has answer my question:

why should the sigs stay if they are not needed and if they offend other users?

if everything was removed from boards that offended someone there wouldn't be much left.

grow a sense of humour and take the image for what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Walter Ego

Better get used to the swaztika, it has just been adopted as the official logo for the National Roads Authority. :mad:

Well syke, you can twist things whatever way you like, do I find a swastika in a white circle on red background offensive? Yes. I also believe this symbol to be racist which is against the sig rules. However, you are the ones who are more important according to Phreak so I expect to be ignored.

Koneko, sorry to hear that about your family and Im glad you are less sensitive about these matters

Draupnir, ferdi, here is something you should consider before future postings like this...... article

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Nobody is considering my feelings in this matter.

I'm quite a bit taller than Hitler, better looking and a better dancer.

if everything was removed from boards that offended someone there wouldn't be much left.
    thats a nice sweeping statment you've got yourself there.

fine keep the sigs

i have a sence of humour, i just never found brutal war and mass murder that funny.

Well syke, you can twist things whatever way you like, do I find a swastika in a white circle on red background offensive?Yes. I also believe this symbol to be racist which is against the sig rules.

Right so you find a hindu/buddhist symbol that has been used for centuries to be racist?

Do you realise the irony? That sort of small minded biggotry is why we have wars, people who think that their uneducated views are right above all else and should be pressed upon others.

However, you are the ones who are more important according to Phreak so I expect to be ignored.

I have no idea what you are on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I propose a solution. All boards members must have a happy and optimistic sig from now on. Roses, baby kittens/puppies and soft clouds should be compulsory in users sigs. The use of a postive slogan is optional.

Syke, understand me please, I find a swastika to be racist, offensive etc. to me a swastika is the black rotated X on a white circle within a red background.

Buddhist symbols are good with me.

syke, why do u perist with that bull about those sig being of buddhist swastikas?

rabies, that was a helpful statment i must say

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

rabies, that was a helpful statment i must say
    thank you.
    I'm torn between using kitttens or puppies in my new sig. Any idea which would be best? My current sig seems to be offending one or two users.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

handbags.click here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Several of my relatives died in France, with the British Army. On the other side, I'm descended from Polish refugees who may or may not have been Jewish, but either way changed their names to escape discrimination, and lost everything to escape..

Do I find the sig offensive? No, because of the context its presented in. Certainly, I have problems when I'm reading from work :) but a symbol itself is harmless without malicious intent. Nobody above is claiming allegiance to Nazis, they're not saying how great it was back in the good ol days of the Third Reich and they're not using it as an implied threat. That, and its kinda funny. So where's the harm?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Is mine too big??

My sig that is:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Originally posted by ecksor
    Nobody is considering my feelings in this matter.

I'm quite a bit taller than Hitler, better looking and a better dancer.
    ROFL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

they had to fight, my family is from austria

The phrase "we were only following orders" springs to mind.

If i put a cross (non-conflagrant) in my sig, would you leap to the defense of the all the moslems killed in the crusades?

yes i would

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

this thread is the most unneccesary thread i've seen in a long time.

HF! :D

Syke, understand me please, I find a swastika to be racist, offensive etc. to me a swastika is the black rotated X on a white circle within a red background.

Buddhist symbols are good with me.

So you find either of these offensive?

If so then you sir, are a biggot.

parade.jpg

rel-kr-b.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Originally posted by syke
    Really? I recently attended a service with 200 buddhists where there were swastikas adorning all the wall, they didn't seem to be thinking much about Nazism.

Now let me see, thats in a smalla rea in Ireland. I wonder how many buddhists and Hindus there are in the world...WOW more than there are Europeans!! Fancy that.

Whatever connotation you put on a swastika, rest assured, many more people see it as a symbol of good and happiness. How many black people died in clan attacks with burning crosses? Yet do you want crucifixes banned?

did these swastikas have a red background and white circle as the nazi's did?

If you walk up to any joe-soap on the street and ask him what a swastika symbolizes he will say nazi party straight away...

this site is mainly browsed by irish people. im sure there aren't too many people in india who have ever seen this site never mind browse it, so the standards on what people find offensive should be suited to irish people and their views and beliefs...

your crosses being banned idea is hilarious... burning crosses yes... this is offensive... crosses... no..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I think this is an important, or at least interesting thread, because it demonstrates in microcosm the eternal dilemma of supporters of free speech...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement