Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major Sig Issue

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Originally posted by ferdi
    its a very lame way of excusing it which is fooling no one.

At some point the thread diverged from the signature to the meaning of the symbol itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by Draupnir
    I didnt offend anyone Syke. Show me my offensive comment and tell me how it could be construed as offensive

wher eyou said that swastikas are only attibuted to nazi-ism.

You then changed and said that its only certain swastikas that are offenisve.

I then showed a picture of a hindu festival shoing that certain swastika.

So basically you are labelling all uses of the symbol with nazism.

Now, if you want to backtrack and say its not the image and its just the context in this case that you have an issue with, I'll accept your apology and move on......

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

the man has a point.
    angelofdeath that it

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

not a snowballs chance im apologising for doing nothing. I dont like the swastika, i didnt know you could ignore users, if someone will point out how to do this I will be on my merry way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

not a snowballs chance im apologising for doing nothing. I dont like the swastika, i didnt know you could ignore users, if someone will point out how to do this I will be on my merry way

click on their profile and then add to ignore.

• Advertisement

Cheers Phreak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Originally posted by ecksor
    At some point the thread diverged from the signature to the meaning of the symbol itself.
    yes, when syke started to talk about the swastikas in the sigs being desplayed in a buddhist context when anyone with half a brain can see this was clearly not the case

Well next time you feel like coming in moaning, perhaps sort out what you are moaning out in advance, maybe try and be a bit more informed and don't change what you are moaning about 3-4 times over a mere four pages of posts.

save everyone alot of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

yes, when syke started to talk about the swastikas in the sigs being desplayed in a buddhist context when anyone with half a brain can see this was clearly not the case

Unless eksor is a buddhist nazi?

No your mate started saying that it was the swastika that was offenive.

He only changed his argument half way through the thread to specify the context.

Sometimes people just need to be educated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

People with full brains could follow the thread, which you don't appear to have.

I think to any educated person the context of the swastika is the problem and anyone who can read english will see in my first post that I explained that I knew the origins of the symbol. Anyone not being argumentative for arguments sake could see my problem was with the context.

Just to clarify, is swastika the name for the actually X part of the symbol(the buddhist part), or am I right in sayin swastika refers to the nazi symbol itself as a whole?

Originally posted by syke
    Well next time you feel like coming in moaning, perhaps sort out what you are moaning out in advance, maybe try and be a bit more informed and don't change what you are moaning about 3-4 times over a mere four pages of posts.

save everyone alot of time.
    anyone would think Draupnir was in the wrong for being uncomfortable with the display of the swastika in a clearly nazi context.

if your so concerned about buddhists, take it to the adl, i'm sure they'd love to hear about your quest to deffend the right of people to display nazi symbols.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Originally posted by ecksor
    Perhaps you should look up the meaning of the word.

yes yes im well aware of the meaning of the word...

when its used in context though i would class someone as being ignorant if they wouldnt or wont bother learning about something because they are biggots etc... in case they learn something that will make their beliefs look stupid etc..

in this case i would class the people i was talking about as unaware, as they had never been exposed to the religions of the east...

there is no 2 ways about it.. the meaning or context of these swastika flags was not in the buddist sense...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

jeez, when i made one of the sigs for funky i wasn't expecting a response like this. A lot of people need to get off their moral high horses. Yes it's associated with something wrong and evil but it happened 60 years ago and thats the way the world is, **** happens, whats the point in hiding and shielding ourselves from a simple icon like this? And i think all this "oh i know some1 who died in the war" stuff is just attention seeking. All our relatives die at some stage. Thats life, live with it. I lost an aunt in a car accident a while ago, i don't find cars offensive. Grow up the lot of ye

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

Originally posted by Third_Echelon
    there is no 2 ways about it.. the meaning or context of these swastika flags was not in the buddist sense...

has anyone said otherwise? syke just pointed out that the swastika isn't just a nazi symbol.

Originally posted by sionnach
    jeez, when i made one of the sigs for funky i wasn't expecting a response like this. A lot of people need to get off their moral high horses.
    yes or maybe you need to cultivate some morals and think before making sigs like that.

Originally posted by sionnach
    jeez, when i made one of the sigs for funky i wasn't expecting a response like this. A lot of people need to get off their moral high horses. Yes it's associated with something wrong and evil but it happened 60 years ago and thats the way the world is, **** happens, whats the point in hiding and shielding ourselves from a simple icon like this? And i think all this "oh i know some1 who died in the war" stuff is just attention seeking. All our relatives die at some stage. Thats life, live with it. I lost an aunt in a car accident a while ago, i don't find cars offensive. Grow up the lot of ye

so this event being 60 years in the past makes it ok then???

cars are not offensive.. they dont intentionally kill people...

hitler/the nazi party did.... sorry if you dont find this offensive... but i do...

Originally posted by Phreak
    has anyone said otherwise? syke just pointed out that the swastika isn't just a nazi symbol.

ok hes made his point... leave it at that...

the context that it was used in was related to the nazi "version"

I think to any educated person the context of the swastika is the problem and anyone who can read english will see in my first post that I explained that I knew the origins of the symbol. Anyone not being argumentative for arguments sake could see my problem was with the context.

Your original post said that you found the display of a swastika offensive.
    period. nothing about context until later (when you said it's not the swastika you found offensive, itsthe context)....

Now in THIS context they are slagging off ecksor. Noone is mentioning WW2 or the horrible tragedies associated. They are simply taking the piss.

If you can find this offensive, then otehrs can equally find your ignorant lack of clarity regarding display or context of swastikas.

Or maybe I'm just beingover sensitive ;)?
    Just to clarify, is swastika the name for the actually X part of the symbol(the buddhist part), or am I right in sayin swastika refers to the nazi symbol itself as a whole?

What does itmatter to you, you think they are all nazi's anyway.

• Advertisement

as i can see from his posts where ecksor's opinions lie, i'll leave it alone.

what i take away from this experince is:

1.swastikas are ok

2.alot of people on boards are more interested in a joke than the feelings of their fellow man.

3.it is ok to shoot people down for being uncompfortable with nazi sybols.

i dont think they are all nazi's syke and i dont appreciate that comment to be honest. Id prefer not to look at them for personal reasons.

by the way, bit harsh the way im being made out to have done something wrong

What does itmatter to you, you think they are all nazi's anyway.

he is UNAWARE and would like to find out...

hitler/the nazi party did.... sorry if you dont find this offensive... but i do...

can anyone point out the mention or reference to hitler in the sig?

i dont think they are all nazi's syke and i dont appreciate that comment to be honest. Id prefer not to look at them for personal reasons.

by the way, bit harsh the way im being made out to have done something wrong

Well I don't appreciate your lack of initial clarity and refusal to apologise for it.

doesnt drake's sig mention fascism???

Where the buddists fascists???

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Give us credit. It's pretty feckin' obvious the sig didn't refer to Buddhism or the boy scouts.

i have nothing to apologise for. nothing at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

yes yes im well aware of the meaning of the word...

when its used in context though i would class someone as being ignorant if they wouldnt or wont bother learning about something because they are biggots etc... in case they learn something that will make their beliefs look stupid etc..

in this case i would class the people i was talking about as unaware, as they had never been exposed to the religions of the east...

So eh... basically they're ignorant?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement