Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connection PC to PA System

Options
  • 15-04-2004 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

Dunno if this is the right place to post this... so move me to a btter place if needs be!

I need to hook my PC up to a PA system (don't ask why! ;))

I thought this would be straight forward, headphone jack to 1/4 in jack - however, when I put this into the PA on a mic channel, it's only mono.

I need it stereo for obviuos reasons - what are my options?

So far I have thought of:

1. There is a stereo channel that you can put in a left and right channel into. I was going to get a headphone jack to split into left n right mono 1/4 jacks - but will this still be stereo once split (sorry if thats a no brainer!)

2. headphone jack split into two male mic leads - is there such a thing?

If either of these work - anyone know where I could get my hands on these before saturday (and I mean DAY! ;))

Thanks for any advice guys!

Tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Microphones are only mono feeds. You need to go into the line input, or split the stereo mini jack to two mono 1/4 inch jacks.... Does the PA not have any XLR inputs?

John

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

On www.maplin.co.uk check the following 2 codes.

Code: Description:

WN19V 3.5mm to RCA 1.5m.
    KW36P Metal 6.35mm to phono adaptor.

These should be available in the Jervis St. branch or if you print them out and go to peats they may be able to help too.

By the way I presume the PA is stereo - silly question I know . . . but . . . ?!

Regards

Tinky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Originally posted by Lump
    Microphones are only mono feeds. You need to go into the line input, or split the stereo mini jack to two mono 1/4 inch jacks.... Does the PA not have any XLR inputs?

It has xlr inputs alright - but as I thought these are mono right?
    It hasnt got a line input (stoopid feckin thing!)

So as you suggested, the stero mini jack to two mono jacks - will this return stereo when put into stereo channel??? Thanks BTW!

Originally posted by tinky

On www.maplin.co.uk check the following 2 codes.

Code: Description:

WN19V 3.5mm to RCA 1.5m.
    KW36P Metal 6.35mm to phono adaptor.

These should be available in the Jervis St. branch or if you print them out and go to peats they may be able to help too.

By the way I presume the PA is stereo - silly question I know . . . but . . . ?!

Hello Tiny, yes the PA is stereo - but there are no phono inputs!

Thanks anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Yea the XLR will be mono, but it should have a left and right xlr input. You should use these as they will be balanced inputs, where the phono ones wont be. XLR arebetter quality connection. I would suggest buying a http://www.euronetwork.co.uk/acatalog/6_35mm_1_4_inch_Jack_Leads.html

If you want to use the Jack inputs.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭dee mm

Where you at i've got stereo mini jack to 2 xlrs, which will do the trick if thats any help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Using the XLR balanced inputs is only an advantage if there is a balanced source feeding into it. Also, XLR inputs are designed to accept low gain inputs (direct from mics etc) wheras phono/jack/unbalanced nputs are designed to run at line level (+4db). Usually on a PA there is a 1/4 inch jack input on each channel as well as an XLR input. In your case you already have a stereo channel with 2 jack inputs. So I would go 3.5mm to 2 x 1/4 jack from your PC to the PA. Or if you cant get that lead, get a 3.5mm to 2 RCA (easily found) and then RCA to 1/4 jack adaptors (easily found too).

I use my PC through a PA all the time for DJ work, and have no problems throught the stereo channel. And yes, it does come out in proper stereo! (assuming your soundcard is outputting in stereo).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

In that case do headphone->mini-jack->XLR. Connect it to two adjacent channels and pan the first one hard left and the second one hard right. Set the volume the same on each and you've got stereo. If it's a standard enough PA there'll be a "Pad" switch or mic/line switch and probably an input gain control so you won't overdrive the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Cheers guys!

I found a stereo 1/4 in jack to L&R 1/4 jacks....
    Not ideal but will do the job for tonite!

Thanks for all your help!

Tom

Advertisement