Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Championships 2004

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    BTW - If you are planning on putting a bet on Ken to win, your better off betting on"any other nationality" (which is any nationality other than English, Scottish, Welsh) at 12/1. You never know, Hann, Swail or Wattana could surprise us.:)
    I hope you all took my advice.:) At the beginning of the Doherty-Swail match I was up for Doc but when how well Swail was playing I was behind him 100%. Doc rely's on confidence too much while it doesn't seem to bother Swail. I can see Swail going far this year.

I have to say, fair play to the ref of Higgin's match, Makayla Tab (however its spelt). She had a hard time respotting the pink on 2 occasions and added a couple of jokes too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

I have to say, fair play to the ref of Higgin's match, Makayla Tab (however its spelt). She had a hard time respotting the pink on 2 occasions and added a couple of jokes too.

Just talking of the Higgins match, I havent seen the match yet (thankfully I recorded it) but I just seen on the news that Higgins was 9-7 down & Ryan Day was one easy pink away from victory (I could pot it left handed with a blindfold on), he somehow missed it & Higgins came back, won the frame & the last 2 frames for a 10-9 victory.

/me thinks he might be the comback king this year like Ken was last year. ;)

Yeah, the Higgins match was very good. I feel sorry for Day though, he was beaten by O'Sullivan in the final frame last month and the same again with Higgins. From all first round matches so far Swail looks in the best form.

BTW - Why was the £50,000 order of merit prize given to Ronnie after the player champs? Why isn't it awarded after the world champs?

Why was the £50,000 order of merit prize given to Ronnie after the player champs? Why isn't it awarded after the world champs?

The World Championships are not included in the LG tour (neither is The Masters). Only the other 7 tournaments this year were included & the Players championship was the last one, thats also why double order of merit points were available there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Creon

Wow really got the Ken Doherty tip way wrong, sorry. But who cold have plausably seen it coming. I know Swail is a very good player and he seems to like the longer matches(just look at his world championship record) but for ken to only win one frame on the sunday and to lose 5 in a row is shocking. No more tips u'll be glad to know, but i think and hope Stephen Hendry will win it. bit of a blind backing as i haven't seen him in action yet but u can never go too far wrong with him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

It all about Hunter for me now.

Delighted to see your man McCullouch beat Ebdon, just because he looks like a builder or a bodyguard/gangster. Top class championship this has been so far. Really making snooker that bit more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Genghis

I am watching each of my bets slowly slip away! For everyones amusement I have decided to post my remaining punts in the competition so you can 'quote and mock' as they inevitably stumble and fall.

1. Name the Finalists: Ronnie and Hunter (€2 @ 6/1)
    2. No. of Cenruy Breaks: 41-45 (€1 @ 20/1)
    3. Highest Break by?: Paul Hunter (€1 @ 5/1)
    4. Highest Break by?: Stephen Hendry (€1 @ 5/1)

I also had money on both Ken and Ebdon to win, but theres no need to post those details!

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

I have a fiver each way on Swail to win. 50-1. Not bad odds considering he's made the Semi's twice and he looks in good form.

White OUT!!!!

also Mark King out!.

Gotta feel sorry for Jimmy :( , but he didn't really produce on the day. It was a scrappy match, but fair play to Barry Pinches, very big win for him that.

Stephen Lee also out. How the top seeds are falling this year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

my each way bet on Swail is looking better all the time :)

Originally posted by Genghis
    Stephen Lee also out. How the top seeds are falling this year.

Yep & just lookin' at the Poll, the two with the most votes are already out.

Looks like Ronnie's in a bit of trouble with the WSA - See here

Todays Results:

Hunter 5-4 Parrott
    Hendry 10-2 Pettman
    O'Sullivan 10-6 Maguire
    Gray 6-3 Carter

I like Ronnie, but he is becoming more of an arsehole with each passing match.

I like Ronnie, but he is becoming more of an arsehole with each passing match.
    Blame it on his psychologist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭JippoKelly

I wonder what odds you would have got on Joe Perry getting the highest break of the championship. 145 is gonna be seriously tough to beat.

I'm really enjoying this year's championship. There has already been some really enthralling matches so far (Swail v Doherty and Higgins v Day in particular). Let's hope it continues. :)

Originally posted by LFCFan
    my each way bet on Swail is looking better all the time :)
    He's still at 50/1. I might put a few quid on him myself. His side of the draw isn't the easiest but he is the only player I watched that didn't get frustrated or miss simple pots at some time during the first round.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I actually think the standard's been pretty poor this year - albeit it has led to very exciting frames and matches.

None of the seeds (certainly none of the top 8 seeds) could be said to be at the top of their game.

For me it looks ominously like Hendry's tournament. And out of the 16 players left, he's my 16th favourite!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

More on Ronnie :Dhttp://www.sportinglife.com/story_get.dor?STORY_NAME=snooker/04/04/23/SNOOKER_World_Lead.html

Can't see him winning it now the way he is acting

Williams OUT!!!!!!!

Beaten 13-11 by Joe Perry. He had a great comeback though to take the 1st 5 frames of the day to go 11-10 up, but Joe kept his nerve & took the last 3 on the spin.

It's looking more & more like O'Sullivan, Hendry, Higgins & Hunter in the Semi's.

With Hunter gone, so too are two more of my bets. My only hope now is that the number of century breaks stays under 45 (slim chance), or that Hendry makes the highest break (and I think he may have less than 9 frames to beat 145 - if I had any money left I'd back Pinches to beat him today).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

With Hunter gone, so too are two more of my bets. My only hope now is that the number of century breaks stays under 45 (slim chance), or that Hendry makes the highest break (and I think he may have less than 9 frames to beat 145 - if I had any money left I'd back Pinches to beat him today).

Hendry looked a bit ropey yesterday but I think his experience will see him past Finches

Have'nt a clue who is gonna win it now though with Hunter and Williams out

Higgins was playing terribly yesterday but done well to get the last two frames of the session to be only 5-3 down. Doesn't look to be going well for him today either, he's 8-4 down athe moment.

Bit of a role reversal though, Higgins beat Dott 13-2 in the 2nd round 2 years ago with a whole session to spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

I think al is playing into the hands of Ronnie O Sullivan.

Yeah, I've changed my opinion on Ronnie's form so far. He has been acting the eejit alright, but his games being closer than expected have been down to Maguire and Hicks playing well more than Ronnie playing below par.

Overall he's probably been the best player in the tournament to date and I think he'll hammer Hamilton. But he does have problems when it comes to beating Stephen Hendry. It would certainly make for a cracking semi final.

Surely Matthew Stevens will come through the other half of the draw?

Higgins Out!!

I've never seen John play as badly as he's played this week, absolute muck compared to his standard. He played well in the last 3 frames though & nearly got a great 147 but what a good break from Dott in the last frame.

The Hendry match was brilliant to watch, but ye gotta feel sorry for Barry Pinches, played brilliantly all week. Full credit to Hendry though, looks like him & O'Sullivan in the second semi.

I think he'll hammer Hamilton

7-0 so far.

That's about the first prediction I've got right this year!

O'Sullivan -v- Hendry
    Ronnie is just amazing, currently 13-2 and not looking like Ronnie will lose another frame

The final: O'Sullivan vs Dott.

Any Predictions? 18-0, 18-1? :D

I'd say Dott will probably slow down Ronnie a bit, but I doubt he can really challenge him much when it comes to winning the match. I do hope that it reaches all four sessions & that there's some play on monday night. Looks a little bit ominous though :/ , that means that Dott would have to win at least 7 frames.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Poor 'oul Dott didn't even make the poll.
    Hope he wins it... just to sicken everyone ;)

• Advertisement

I'm delighted for Ronnie to win it again this year, he's obviously put the hard work in & he was the only real "top" player to show decent form. I thought the final was a bit of an anticlimax though, probably because all the finals in the last few years have all been a lot closer & a lot more exiting at the finish.

Full credit though.

ronnie1.jpg

Advertisement