Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The BSOP - ENTRY CLOSED!!

Options
  • 15-04-2004 3:58pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well I am in a very serious frame of mind this week and this generally means that i have to organise something. Well what better to organise than a World Series of Poker boads.ie style - BSOP (Boards.ie Series of Poker).

Now before I go ahead and start organising it, I want to know a few things. So with this in mind please post with the answer to these questions.

a) Do you want to be included?
    b) Can you play one game a month for 10 months?
    c) Can you host a game of 10 people?
    d) Can I beat you and therefore win the big prize.

Now I am going to limit the entry to 10 as above that logistics take over. But dont worry about getting involved until I see what type of interest there is.

The format will consist of individual monthly games varying from freeze-outs, re-buys and short-handed games (2 tables of 5). There will be a winner and prize money on each night and points for every place being accumulated to give an overall BSOP champion. The final showdown will be a BIG one with lots of prizes and points on offer. I will look into getting the Fitz to host it one Saturday afternoon so that we can get an audience etc. The overall prize will be given out on that day.

If we get enough interest I might open it up further but I would see the next one being the start of something bigger.

Looks like 10 max is out the window!

Hyzepher
    Lafortezza
    kencleary
    TCP/IP
    henbane
    Decker
    Davey Devil
    Amp
    Samson
    DeVore
    Iago
    MrPudding
    KevinR
    Casper
    TwoShedsJackson
    Spiritus
    KarlH
    gerire
    dropsy
    Tricky D
    Musician
    DapperGent
    quozl
    Krusty_Clown
    Altheus
    mickste
    Waylander
    Edser
    whiteshadow

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

a) Yes!
    b) Yes!
    c) Just about! But I don't do honey-glazed sausages....
    d) Doubtful, but have a go anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭kencleary

a) Yes
    b) Yes
    c) Possibly (am moving house soon)
    d) Heh you can try :)

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

would be up for that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

a)yes
    b)yes
    c)probly not
    d)never! Q8 - read em and weep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Decker

a) All in
    b) All in
    c) All in
    d) All in

How that for commitment:)

Thanks,

Alex

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

a) Do you want to be included? Yes
    b) Can you play one game a month for 10 months? Easy
    c) Can you host a game of 10 people? Not so easy - I live with my parents.
    d) Can I beat you and therefore win the big prize. - You can try.

I'm aware that I have not played in any of your home games but most of you know me from the Fitz. If you'd rather go with players from your regular home games that's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

b) Can you play one game a month for 10 months? Indeed.
    c) Can you host a game of 10 people? We can.
    d) Can I beat you and therefore win the big prize. More than likely

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

A) Yes.
    B) Yes.
    C) Yes.
    D) Given my recent form, most definitely.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yes!

Er... I can play one game a *day* for 10 months :)

Yes, unless amp is also hosting a game that night :)

Not the way your head is at the moment :p

We shouldnt limit this to 10 players (is that what you mean?) but rather a pool of 30 odd players from whom 10 or so are picked for a nights poker.

Ironically I mailed Dave in the Fitz yesterday about something not unlike this (though a smaller scale) so if he gets back to me I'll PM you.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

yes to all, particularly the last one :)

definitely interested

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I would be most interested. It is yes to the first 3 for sure. The 4th could be swings and roundabouts.

We don't need to limit it to 10 players, we can have as many as we want. 10 players is enough for one venue but who says we can onlt have one venue in action per night. We can have a couple games running in different venues on the same night or have 2 or more games games per month but each person can only play one of them. Or we can say that over the 10 months you can have 10 scoring games max.

Very cool idea.

MrP

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

The problem with more than 10 is that you dont really get to play everyone everytime - so it waters down the competition to chose the best.

Also, the first time we do this I would prefer to have a smaller amount and get it right rather than a load and get it horribly wrong.

We could build up to a large pool.

Hyzepher

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If we only have 10 then only 6-7 will be able to play on a given night. Also, who will pick those 10? No matter who we pick, there will be people who will feel like they should have had a shot.... I think we can easily accomodate 20, if you took Pudding and Amp/Me out of the list and had 10 places to play still, us and Pudding could alternate a second game every month between us (my place one month, Puddings the next... along with the individual other volunteers).

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 KevinR

b) Can you play one game a month for 10 months? Yes
    c) Can you host a game of 10 people? at a push
    d) Can I beat you and therefore win the big prize. Probably

Hey - if we can do 20, then lets do 20. I am just concerned that the logistics will be a obstacle.

I was hoping that everyone would play the same amount of games i.e. all of them, and a smaller number would be easier to handle. But the more I think of it we will probably have issues regardless of the numbers.

I suppose those who committ to every week will have an advantage for the big prize.

Bring it on!!

Hyzepher

How would scoring be done?

DeV.

Well I suppose there could be a few ways but I like the idea of scoring based on prize money won. That way you could miss one or two and not be too far behind.

Hyzepher

I like that too but it hurts people who cant commit to one game a month (I wouldnt be one of those people :) )

Perhaps your best X results from all the games you play (like best 6, 7 or 8 out of a possible 10) ... that way you can have an off night and not get screwed over and you can miss a night without feeling disadvantaged...

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭casper-

c) Can you host a game of 10 people? Barely - my kitchen table fits six, and we might be able to to put one person on each corner, but it's very very tight (plus I'd have to find 3 more chairs)
    d) Can I beat you and therefore win the big prize. Undoubtedly :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

a) Do you want to be included? Yes.
    b) Can you play one game a month for 10 months? Definitely.
    c) Can you host a game of 10 people? As above, the kitchen table seats six, can throw four in on the corners.
    d) Can I beat you and therefore win the big prize. Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Spiritus

I'd like to play. So would Karlh2001:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

Karlh2001 (damn i have to change that name) would indeed love to play :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

b) Can you play one game a month for 10 months? Sure why not
    c) Can you host a game of 10 people? meh, not really until the end of the year
    d) Can I beat you and therefore win the big prize.: Let's see shell we

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

btw

A) Yes.
    B) Yes.
    C) Smallish flat but will host if necessary, can get a bigger table and more chairs for the night. May be cramped but central. (by month 10 I hope to have a bigger place)
    D) Alright then....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭dropsy

c) Can you host a game of 10 people? In an apartment so not big enough but do have a case of 1000 chips which you could use :rolleyes:
    d) Can I beat you and therefore win the big prize.: probably

Great idea Hyzepher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Yes pls

No Prob

Not at the mo, but moving to larger place in a month or two

Maybe, maybe not, tho I'll put my money where my mouth is.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Just need a few chairs - should be no problem.
    4. As long as I don't have Aces.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Ithink the key to making it fair will be how the draw is carried out. If we can run 3 games every month, preferably on different nights we should be able to accomodate every one. If we have more people then we add a venue. It will be incredibly hard to make sure everyone plays everyone else. Given that people will have to swap nights every now and again I don't see how we can do it.

I do not like the option of chose you 6 best results. It should be based on the points you score in 10 games. If you don't play ten then too bad. If we get 3 venues going a month it should be ok.

Also, a late night poker stly tiurnie would be cool. We could have up to 9 heats of 10 people a runner up heat of 9 people and then a final of 10. That would be cool.

I would prefer the BSOP but the other might be a option too.

MrP

Aye thats an idea... play 3 tables of 10 and the top 2 proceed to a final table. The 3rd 4th and 5th at each table go into a losers game and the top 2 from the losers game proceed to the winners table (possibly with less chips :) )

That might run nice and fast and would accomodate everyone...

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Yes
    Yes
    Should be able
    Always

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement