Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reccomend a non windows PDA plz

Options
  • 15-04-2004 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

I want to get a PDA for reading my PDF files on the bus home at weekends. I dont need any other frills - and I dont want to by something with MS software on it.

Thanks,

merlin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

if you're a linux person how about a Sharp Zaraus running qpdf2

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Buy a Palm device then.

www.palmone.com

Cheerio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Zaltais

I'd second the recommendation of the Sharp Zaurus, their a bit clunky compared to some of the newer IPAQ's but you can't beat the flexibility that running Linux in you're pocket gives you.

Mine doubled as an 'on the bus' web development engine, complete with apache web server, perl, php, and mysql database.

One thing to bear in mind though that I did find it quite slow when trying to navigate large PDF's, however, that was the old SL-5500 series and with an older PDF viewer. The SL-5600 has been out for a while and is a meatier machine. You could pick one up reasonably cheaply on eBay or somewhere. Alternatively you could wait until the SL-6000 comes out, with it's massive 640x480 res screen. Which would give you a far better viewing area of the PDF's you want to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

Thanks folks. I think I'll go for the PalmPilot (since they are so cheap) - although the Zaurus sounds great. I was initially tempted to get the HP iPaq H1940 - but dont want to buy into MS.

Advertisement