Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City Of Heros

• 15-04-2004 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Anybody in this yet? just got an invite and the client is downloading now hopefully its what i am expecting :)

<edit>learn to spell heroes . nerd moderator</edit>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

Haven't tried it (never even heard about it before)... I took a look at the website though, and I think it looks really good... Interesting idea..

...and as Jerry Seinfeld once said: "Spiderman, Superman, Batman.. when a kid grows up, these aren't fantasies, they are options".
    Seems like he was right :)

Let us know what its like once you've tried it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

have being playing it all weekend

I think it's really good. there are a good option for powers and you can get flight or teleportaion at level 4 :)

good thing about it is that you are fighting people for the most part straight away so you don't fell stupid like in other games fighting giant worms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

got any links to where i can download it?

also is it totally free or is it some 1 month free trial then u pay lark?

the game has been in open beta for the last month but gets released on the 22nd so they are kicking all us beta people out and you have to order the game. AFAIK you can't download it and pay.

www.coh.com is the website and you can try to register for the open beta. not sure if they are still taking applications

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

hmmm, the website says that the game is out in 8 days and that you can pre-order... but I cant find anyhting on Play.com or amazon

any idea if there is a seperate realease date for Ireland? Been looking forward to this for a while now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭zekiel

I got my beta account, havent bothered to try it out yet.. anyone else in there?

Originally posted by LoLth
    hmmm, the website says that the game is out in 8 days and that you can pre-order... but I cant find anyhting on Play.com or amazon

any idea if there is a seperate realease date for Ireland? Been looking forward to this for a while now :)

don't think it's being released in europe for a few months. they have to get a company to host the servers over here. if you want to get it you will have to order it from america

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

been looking at this, and it seems like thats the case (no release in europe for a while).

If you want to buy it you can get it from here: http://www.dvdboxoffice.com/start.asp?class=gme&id=2F414B78-A9B0-4A9A-8877-E728FCFE0C8A&wh=MAIN&s=gg&rate=CAD++%2D1%2E000+++++
    It's priced at 67 canadian dollars (I have no idea what the exchange rate is, didnt bother checking).

I know they will ship worldwide, and on an mmorpg the ping isnt hugely important.. so I dont see any real problems with getting it from the states/canada.

one of the good things about the game is that they have a limit on the number of people in one area at a time. whats the point of going to an area if there are more super heros than villians? :)

they get around this by having different instances of the area (i.e. Atlas Park, Atlas Park 2, Atlas Park 3, etc) and to stop kill stealing at least 2/3 of the missin involve you going into a building and when you go in you and your team mates get you own instance of the mission so no one can come in and kill the boss before you get to him :D

Well, my copy arrived by DHL today :)

Will probably give it a bash tonight (before NWN). Is there any server that is preferrable for European players?

One of the problems with Ultima was that when I went on the server was usually deserted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

Originally posted by LoLth
    Is there any server that is preferrable for European players?
    I don't play COH myself, but I read somewhere that Victory is supposed to be the unofficial european players server.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I play on Guardian and there's always lots of people on.

Well, i joined on liberty and am now the proud owner of a slightly used 5th level Scrapper called Evolutionaire (I wanted Evolution but it was taken).

Some really excellent superhero designs out there as well. Junior Hulk looks pretty accurate as well as a B. Grimm Thing like character complete with a number 4 on his chest :)

Cant wait to create a new character and see how he gets on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

is there a monthly subscriptions ? is the game addictive ?
    possible to play offline ?

let me know.

thanks

Originally posted by Placebo
    is there a monthly subscriptions ? is the game addictive ?
    possible to play offline ?

let me know.

thanks

mothly sub = yes
    addictice = yes when you get into a good team.
    play offline = no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 hughobrien

This is a fantastic game. The price is a little steep, but if you've got the money, give it a whirl. It actually plays more like a single player game than a MMORPG, with the difference being you can ask people to help. And with the City Of Villains add on coming out, it's going to get even better.:D

It's great fun alright. Graphics are excellent. Pity there's not more interaction with the scenery.. but I can understand why.

People online are grand. There a large mix of ages (I havent asked anyone their age and it's usually pretty hard to guess but a team I was in the other night had a married couple - I am guessing in their 30s, a 50yr old guy (he said his age) , an 11 yr old kid (who also said his age) and a girl in her late twenties I would guess). People are generally friendly - I ahve encountered only one griefer in the two weeks of playing - compare that to Ultima online! - Within a week I was invited to join a supergroup and the game has taken on whole new levels of fun. Random beating in perez park and missions vs the 5th column I could never have touched as a solo.

Drawback: I would prefer some events to happen. Like the Rikti invasion I hear so much about from teh beta but maybe a smaller scale - perhaps a hellion riot or a skulls vs lost running battle that spills over into Galaxy City or Atlas park :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Whywontitwrok

Its either this or guild wars that im gonna pick up during the summer, Currently it looks like it will be this :D just as soon as this LC is over :'(:(

P.S how do I buy it again! I can get an account on the main page but no DL, I thought there was a post here somewhere but I must be wrong :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 hughobrien

The link is: ftp://coh:client@client.coh.com/Coh.zip .

It's a hefty 850mb, so it's best to leave it running. Once you download it, unzip it to a directory and install. Once it finishes it, I think it gives you the option of going to the PlayNC.com site to buy the serial number for it. That's about €50. Then once you get that, you have to create an account to play the game, which costs about €10 per month, i think (the first month is free, though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 P45

Is there any indication that Ncsoft are going to setup Euro servers in the near future?
    I would definitely give the game a spin if that happened.

• Advertisement

Am downloading as we speak :D
    But wont get to play for 3 weeks (22nd I finish exams) then im off for two weeks on the 27th. So I dunno wether(sp? and tell me if this is the right sp cause I CANT SPELL THIS WORD....EVER!!) to pay on the 21st and get it ready for the 22nd or just wait till im back from holidays and get the most benefit from my free month :confused:

Ah €10 isnt that bad actually, I was expecting at least 15.

Will we start an Irish Super-group?! :D all dressed in green and about 3ft tall! :D

Some more feedback on the game would be great as this is my first MMORPG venture so I dont wanna get off on the wrong foot.

They releaseing the first update in a while also so that should be a good sign as to how dedicated they are :D

Feedback please:D

P.S would you not e-mail about new servers, or maybe post on the forums?

oh and is it possible to buy a second serial and my mate can play off my account no I doubt it but I may as well ask, or could he get an account but play off the same serial? I doubt both of them but I need to ask! :D

Originally posted by Whywontitwrok

oh and is it possible to buy a second serial and my mate can play off my account no I doubt it but I may as well ask, or could he get an account but play off the same serial? I doubt both of them but I need to ask! :D

he could play off your account when your not playing :D as they give you 8 character slots

Lol well ye I figured that but im sure you knew thats not what I ment!

Can you answer any of the other questions? Or advise me if I should pick up this game or not? only 3:30 left in DL

Or do you know how frequent updates would be to keep the game fresh? or how frequent are they on other MMORPG`s?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

they give you 8 character slots per server and theres like 10 servers or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Or do you know how frequent updates would be to keep the game fresh? or how frequent are they on other MMORPG`s?

Thats hard to tell. It really depends on the developers and how big the game is. When i was playing EVE there was usually a small patch every few weeks to sort out bugs and what not and then every 3 months or so there was a major patch that brought about big changes. However it happens in COH is anyones guess.

AS for buying a second serial and playing off one account........ I really doubt it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

K sounds cool. Now I need some responses on the game, and its lasting appeal, keep in mind that I havent played a MMORPG before, so if this is newbie freidnly (which it seems ) then thats good but if something like SWG would be better to experienece the "true" side of MMORPG

P.S this is still whywontitwrok but I just check my old account which was banned after my first post for some reason which I have never understood and its free now so finally I get to post under my propber name :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

if your not into the whole mmorpg thing it doesnt matter bcause it kinda has a 1 player structure its just extra fun in teams with mates.

And as for the fun and lasting appeal of the game?

It sounds really interesting and fun so ill prolly give it a go but I dont wanna waste €50 buying the game, I was hoping to get in GAME with ten day gareentee and 1 month free trial

Lasting appeal: well... it is basically about beating up stuff. I can see it getting old but with the city of villains expansion (introducing player vs player) and rumours of some major additions to come I think some depth will be added soon.

Enjoyability: you play a super hero. 'nuff said

Newbie friendliness: I have been playing for about two weeks now. already I have a regular set of characters I team up with, I am a member of a supergroup and I have 4 or 5 heroes twice my level that regularly offer to make me their sidekick (not as degrading as it sounds). only met one griefer, more than likely a spoilt child.

The age range is quite wide and the servers are active.
    All in all an excellent MMORPG. Just needs a server event or tow (during the beta they had the Rikti invasion, some of those screenshots look excellent).

An Irish supergroup sounds like a good idea.

• Advertisement

Excellent ok thanks, Sounds cool alright,

isnt the expansion out in like mid-2005 so maybe we should look at what we got now :D

Ye a few of us should hook up anyway cause that would be cool

Iv got it downloaded now but I dunno wether to sing up and not study or just knuckle down :D:(

Advertisement