Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT at 8 pm Tonight!

Options
  • 15-04-2004 6:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

I bet I fail (actually I should, discovered a sheard wheel bolt on Friday and have'nt
    has any chance to have it drilled out and replaced (needless to say 190 bolts are'nt stocked by Tom Murphy Mercedes dealer and have to be ordered!)

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

g'luck with it Mike - let us know the results :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It failed as I predicted BUT not for the busted wheel bolt, two items did for me - the battery not secure (the tray is rotting away so I'll have to get rid of it and have a new one frabricated) and the rear brakes were out of balance by 42% (30% is max allowed) this can be cured with a fresh set of rear pads....(which I really should have replaced) Still not too bad for a 14 years old 200,000 car.

Mike.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Cool... Will they retest it for free ??

And regarding the wheel nut i had a similar problem. you will need to drill two tiny holes (using a diamond tipped drill bit from woodies about 3 euro) and using the tips of 2 nails (nails as in things you hit with a hammer and not things you bite) inserted into your two holes unwind the sheared nut off.

Thought it would be a mammoth job but i actually took about 2 mins. Do not drive with one nut missing as the others will start sheering off.... Be warned dont risk it, people told me i would be grand and i ended up being stranded in kildare with 2 wheel nuts left and a awful racket coming from the wheel.

G'luck and a man after my own heart regarding old well made cars not like the plastic ****e soap box's that are travelling around today. (Own a 92 318is with 150,000 on it and previously a 1990 316i.

Chief.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

RE Cool... Will they retest it for free ??

The battery should be a visual inspection not needing a lane or ramp, but brakes mean you will need the machine so that will cost.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mike - go to a breakers (with a nut in your hand if poss to compare) and look around any old mercs - bound to find one.
    The breakers in Kilcock is very good (cars grouped by manufacturer)

• Advertisement

Good result Mike, no unexpected nasties. I bet you're pretty pleased :)

I do like that emoticon kbannon :cool:

Originally posted by unkel
    I do like that emoticon kbannon :cool:
    Taz? kinda looks like me!!!
    you reached daddy status yet?

nope, will let you know :)

well I know it is soon - all the best with it - its a real eye opener.
    BTW, you do know that this will be the end of your social life!

but its worth it!

• Advertisement

Ahem! anyway back on topic ;)...

Just two small-ish failures is a truimph! I was fully expecting loads of stuff a report sheet full of green marker!

Kilcock breakers are a loooooong drive for me and anyway I expected (like an idiot) that a main dealer would stock wheel nuts...not such a big deal you'd think.

I'd love to locate a "dead" 190e in my neck of the woods but so far no luck...

The re-test is 27.50 and I've got a month so its not a big-deal.
    G'luck and a man after my own heart regarding old well made cars not like the plastic ****e soap box's that are travelling around today.

I like to think its a testament to old-fashioned tutonic over-enginering that my heap passed the lights test! :D

Anyway I'll keep it for another two years at least!

Mike.

:D Phew, I sort of said to myself I'd treat the car to a new set of alloys but that was before it got through...!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Congrats Mike - I also passed mine yesterday after a small failure - needed a new tyre. Thats grand now - NCT worry free motoring for 2 years! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by mike65
    :D Phew, I sort of said to myself I'd treat the car to a new set of alloys but that was before it got through...!

Mike.

Congrats on the pass mike, what happened with the cracked windscreen ?, I missed that episode.:)

I just had to bite the bullet and shell out for a new one at €380! :eek: (the first price quoted was €430 they dropped the price twice which makes me wonder just how much profit is made on a screen)

I will be buying windscreen cover come renewal time.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by mike65
    I just had to bite the bullet and shell out for a new one at €380! :eek: (the first price quoted was €430 they dropped the price twice which makes me wonder just how much profit is made on a screen)

I will be buying windscreen cover come renewal time.

Mike.

Ouch!

Thats a major drop all right but still a rather hefty price a chunk of toughened glass. Another fine example of rip off Ireland. Happy motoring .

Advertisement