Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Update

Options
  • 15-04-2004 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

When I use Windows Update where do the files go or are they not saved on disk. I know you can download the Microsoft patches individually but Windows Update is more convenient and it would be helpful if I could store the patches. Any time I've had to reinstall I've lost all of the patches.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭lamaq

I had that problem before, as far as I know you can't do anything once you download and install from Windows Update (apart from uninstall them). What I did was to take a note of the security update id and then do a search in mircosoft downloads. Most of the patches I looked for were available for download and in theory all of them should be.

Bear in mind the last XP service pack was about 120MB for the full package but much less when downloaded from Windows Update. You can view a log of your previous updates in your windows directory under windowsupdate.log .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

if you chose to install the updates they are only stored on your hardrive tempoarily.

if you want to keep them, dont install the updates and they should all be in a folder call WUTemp.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

www.autopatcher.com

problem solved. especially if you are updating more than one PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They'll be saved in your Temporary Internet Files, with big long funky names. How long they stay there depends on your settings.

The main problem is the big long weird names don't help you distinguish what file does what. So if you need to reinstall, you won't have a clue what order to install them. Autopatcher is a good idea.

Advertisement